4 Southmoreland grapplers move on to state regionals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Success continues for Southmoreland wrestlers.
Four Scotties placed in the top three at this past weekend's WPIAL Class AA wrestling championships and in the process qualified for the PIAA Southwest Regionals Friday and Saturday at the Cambria County War Memorial in Johnstown.
Austin Griffiths (113 pounds), Evan Myers (132) and Jake Beistel (285) each placed second, and Cole Lambie (106) placed third.
“I was very pleased to have four wrestlers moving on,” said Ryan Shaw, wrestling coach. “I thought they wrestled well. Getting second in the finals is not something you always want, but it's something you can learn from as well. All of our boys wrestled well down there.”
Also participating in the tournament for Southmoreland were Anthony Wise (120) and Brennan Coles (170).
The quartet that placed at Chartiers Valley now moves on to the PIAA Southwest Regionals. Anyone who finishes in the top five in their weight class at that tournament advances to the PIAA championships March 6-8 at Hershey.
“They can all do that,” Shaw said of his four wrestlers. “If they wrestle to their capabilities, all four will be at the state tournament.”
Griffiths is vying for his third straight trip to the PIAA finals and Beistel is in search of his second.
Paul Paterra is a staff editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-887-6101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pedestrian injured in accident near busway ramp in Carnegie
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Wrong-way driver causes head-on crash in Center
- Couple attempts theft at North Huntingdon Walmart
- Players need to challenge IRS targeting of slot jackpots
- Man taken to hospital after New Alexandria house burns
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- A family’s flag flies again in Mt. Pleasant
- Springdale councilmen resigned to defeat