4 Southmoreland grapplers move on to state regionals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Success continues for Southmoreland wrestlers.
Four Scotties placed in the top three at this past weekend's WPIAL Class AA wrestling championships and in the process qualified for the PIAA Southwest Regionals Friday and Saturday at the Cambria County War Memorial in Johnstown.
Austin Griffiths (113 pounds), Evan Myers (132) and Jake Beistel (285) each placed second, and Cole Lambie (106) placed third.
“I was very pleased to have four wrestlers moving on,” said Ryan Shaw, wrestling coach. “I thought they wrestled well. Getting second in the finals is not something you always want, but it's something you can learn from as well. All of our boys wrestled well down there.”
Also participating in the tournament for Southmoreland were Anthony Wise (120) and Brennan Coles (170).
The quartet that placed at Chartiers Valley now moves on to the PIAA Southwest Regionals. Anyone who finishes in the top five in their weight class at that tournament advances to the PIAA championships March 6-8 at Hershey.
“They can all do that,” Shaw said of his four wrestlers. “If they wrestle to their capabilities, all four will be at the state tournament.”
Griffiths is vying for his third straight trip to the PIAA finals and Beistel is in search of his second.
Paul Paterra is a staff editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-887-6101 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kittanning wrestler Robb plans to learn from SW Region finals loss
- Southmoreland junior still learning amid success
- WPIAL title a milestone for Norwin’s Phipps
- Burrell heavyweight Beattie claims 3rd Class AA Southwest Regional title
- Kiski Area’s Worthing wins 2nd WPIAL Class AAA wrestling title
- Six BVA wrestlers advance to semifinals
- Waynesburg senior Headlee defeats country’s top-ranked at 132 to claim WPIAL Class AAA title
- Overtime takedown vaults McKeesport’s Ingram into WPIAL semifinals
- Ligonier Valley freshman Patrick carries on family tradition as Southwest Region champion
- Elizabeth Forward senior qualifies for PIAA tournament
- Tough day for Connellsville wrestlers in regional quarterfinals