Falcons wrestlers fall on final day of WPIALs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Four Connellsville wrestlers earned the right to compete on the third and final day of the Class AAA WPIAL/PIAA Southwest Regional Championships. Unfortunately, all four had their seasons come to an end Saturday at Canon-McMillan.
Juniors Tyler Kenney (113) and Gunnar Lynch (220) and sophomores Bryce Butler (138) and Tommy Provance (182) each lost in the consolation bracket.
Kenney was the lone Connellsville wrestler that started Saturday's action in the winner's bracket. However, Kenney dropped a 2-1 decision to North Allegheny's Luke Landefeld in the semifinals, and then was eliminated in a 5-0 loss to Ringgold's Doug Gudenburr in the consolation bracket. Kenney (32-9) came up one match short of competing in the third-place match.
Provance (27-10) also came up one match shy of competing for third. Provance started his Saturday session with consolation victories over Jacob Paris of Chartiers Valley (8-4 decision) and Zach Pasko of Greensburg Salem (3-0). However, Provance was ousted after dropping a 2-1 decision to North Allegheny's Clay Byerly.
Butler (24-14) and Lynch (21-16) lost in the second round of consolations. Butler suffered a 3-1 loss to Penn-Trafford's Michael Risnear. Lynch dropped a 2-0 decision to Butler's Will Bortmas.
The top three wrestlers from each weight class advanced to the PIAA Championships starting Thursday at Giant Center in Hershey.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- East Allegheny teachers to hit the picket lines
- Homestead to celebrate one of its own at jazz festival
- Flexible-use building in the works for Duquesne
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense