Yough sends 2 wrestlers to semifinals
By Staff Report
Published: Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, 11:48 p.m.
A pair of Yough wrestlers kept their WPIAL title hopes alive Friday night at the Class AA wrestling championships at Chartiers Valley.
Clay Waldron defeated Austin Boone from South Side Beaver, 6-2, in overtime of the quarterfinals at 182 pounds to earn a spot in Saturday's semifinals, which begin at 11:30 a.m. Teammate Tom Sever also advanced to the semifinals at 220 pounds with a 3-2 win over Ellwood City's Mike Sinclair.
Yough's Zack Charles (113 pounds), Teddy Charletta (132), Lucas Richardson (170) all lost their quarterfinal-round matches.
Three South Allegheny wrestlers also lost in the quarterfinals. At 120 pounds, Justo Hernandez fell to Bentworth's Jake Rothka, 3-0.
Cody Jenkins was pinned by South Park's Jake Wentzel in 1:18 at 138 pounds. At 220 pounds, Seth Hitchens lost to Mt. Pleasant's Josh Lind, 6-2.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Nolf’s lone career loss serves as catalyst for continued excellence
- Norwin’s Phipps places 4th at PIAA Class AAA finals
- Franklin Regional wrestler backs up his words with 1st state title
- Belle Vernon Area’s Hasson advances; teammates eliminated
- Valley’s Fields penalized for prematch handslap, leading to loss
- Valley, Burrell advance 3 wrestlers each at state wrestling tournament
- Jeannette freshman grappler headed to PIAA tourney
- Kiski Area’s Kuhn draws unbeaten 3-time champ in PIAA Class AAA semifinals
- Burrell’s Edwards 1 of 4 WPIAL wrestlers to reach PIAA Class AA finals
- Valley News Dispatch spotlight athletes: Knoch’s John Wilson, Burrell’s Jaila Manga
- Southmoreland’s Beistel, Griffiths fall in PIAA quarters