Yough sends 2 wrestlers to semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A pair of Yough wrestlers kept their WPIAL title hopes alive Friday night at the Class AA wrestling championships at Chartiers Valley.
Clay Waldron defeated Austin Boone from South Side Beaver, 6-2, in overtime of the quarterfinals at 182 pounds to earn a spot in Saturday's semifinals, which begin at 11:30 a.m. Teammate Tom Sever also advanced to the semifinals at 220 pounds with a 3-2 win over Ellwood City's Mike Sinclair.
Yough's Zack Charles (113 pounds), Teddy Charletta (132), Lucas Richardson (170) all lost their quarterfinal-round matches.
Three South Allegheny wrestlers also lost in the quarterfinals. At 120 pounds, Justo Hernandez fell to Bentworth's Jake Rothka, 3-0.
Cody Jenkins was pinned by South Park's Jake Wentzel in 1:18 at 138 pounds. At 220 pounds, Seth Hitchens lost to Mt. Pleasant's Josh Lind, 6-2.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trooper severely injured when hit by own car
- Rogue Catholics in Society of St. Pius X to reopen West End church
- Plum police search for home invasion suspect
- Gorman: ‘He doesn’t want to be the kid with cancer’
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Energy Department OKs loan of $259M to Alcoa to promote clean energy
- Norwin High School health teacher charged with selling heroin
- Eagle egg breaks, parents abandon nest
- Lombardi leads IUP to brink of men’s basketball national title
- Malkin, Hornqvist return to Penguins lineup vs. Coyotes