Yough sends 2 wrestlers to semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
A pair of Yough wrestlers kept their WPIAL title hopes alive Friday night at the Class AA wrestling championships at Chartiers Valley.
Clay Waldron defeated Austin Boone from South Side Beaver, 6-2, in overtime of the quarterfinals at 182 pounds to earn a spot in Saturday's semifinals, which begin at 11:30 a.m. Teammate Tom Sever also advanced to the semifinals at 220 pounds with a 3-2 win over Ellwood City's Mike Sinclair.
Yough's Zack Charles (113 pounds), Teddy Charletta (132), Lucas Richardson (170) all lost their quarterfinal-round matches.
Three South Allegheny wrestlers also lost in the quarterfinals. At 120 pounds, Justo Hernandez fell to Bentworth's Jake Rothka, 3-0.
Cody Jenkins was pinned by South Park's Jake Wentzel in 1:18 at 138 pounds. At 220 pounds, Seth Hitchens lost to Mt. Pleasant's Josh Lind, 6-2.
— Staff report
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Baseball needs a new schedule
- Steelers remain confident in defense
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- Berry wins Steelers’ punting job; Wing traded to Giants
- State lawmaker proposes increasing cost of fishing licenses
- Pirates notebook: Burnett continues to progress, amps up to 95-pitch simulated game
- Pitt’s Narduzzi revisits YSU roots in opener
- Security guard shot outside East Hills restaurant
- Megyn Kelly’s forte not Pa. Megan’s
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Pirates reliever Liz new, improved