Norwin sophomore Phipps headed back to Hershey
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Norwin sophomore Drew Phipps is headed to the PIAA Class AAA Wrestling Championships again.
Phipps fell to Montour senior Cole Macek, 3-1, in overtime in the 195-pound semifinals at the WPIAL and PIAA Class AAA Southwest Regional on Saturday at Canon-McMillan.
It was Phipps' first loss of the season. He enters next weekend's tournament at Hershey with a 23-1 record. He went 1-2 in the 2013 PIAA tournament.
Macek secured a takedown 30 seconds into overtime to earn the hard-fought win.
Phipps earned a return trip to states by rallying to defeat North Allegheny junior Zach Smith, 5-3, in overtime. Phipps trailed 3-1 in the third period, but was able to tilt Smith to his back for a two-point nearfall.
Phipps wasted no time in overtime getting a quick takedown for the win.
West Mifflin senior heavyweight Shawn Devey opened the final day with a pin of Central Catholic senior Adisa Branch, but his dream ended with a loss to Montour sophomore Zack Jablonski.
Canon-McMillan senior Solomon Chishko became the 24th wrestler to win four WPIAL titles with a 9-4 win against Franklin Regional junior Josh Maruca at 145 pounds. Latrobe senior Zack Zavatsky won his third title with a 5-1 win against Mt. Lebanon junior Kellan Stout at 182.
Winning their second titles were Latrobe sophomore Luke Pletcher at 120 and Kiski Area senior Shane Kuhn at 285.
Franklin Regional had three champions: Devin Brown (106), Spencer Lee (113) and Josh Shields (152).
The other winners were Canon-McMillan senior Dalton Macri (126), Penn-Trafford freshman Cameron Coy (132), Central Catholic junior Vincenzo Joseph (138), Belle Vernon sophomore Austin Bell (160), Central Catholic senior Kyle Coniker (170) and Kiski Area sophomore Tyler Worthing (220).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL heavyweights take 3 spots in PIAA Class AA semifinals
- PIAA first-round wins fashionable for Kiski Area wrestlers, Burrell’s Beattie
- North Hills’ Curry ends curse at PIAA Class AAA tournament
- McCoy leads 4 Latrobe wrestlers into PIAA Class AAA quarterfinals
- Belle Vernon Area’s Fine gets into state tournament
- EF’s Fournier emerges from prelims at PIAA Class AA tournament
- 3 Penn-Trafford wrestlers competing at PIAA championships
- Plum wrestlers conclude season at WPIALs
- Mauro, Beistel, Kenney get through tough 1st round in Hershey
- Elizabeth Forward senior Fournier uses pins to reach PIAA quarterfinals
- Ligonier Valley freshman Patrick carries on family tradition as Southwest Region champion