West Mifflin's Martin trouble for opponents
TribLIVE Sports Videos
6-foot-2, 225 pounds, TE-DE, West Mifflin
If his 88-yard touchdown catch against Elizabeth Forward last week was any indication, West Mifflin's Marcus Martin can cause major mismatches.
“It was a really nice play,” Titans coach Ray Braszo said, noting that Martin ran 30 yards after the catch. “We can move him out, almost as a wide receiver, if we want. Sometimes, he surprises people from inside at the tight end position. He catches it before they know it. He's a good blocker, too. He's a really strong kid and he's having a great year blocking and receiving.”
Overshadowed offensively on a team that features the WPIAL's leading rusher in junior Jimmy Wheeler and a dangerous dual-threat quarterback in Derrick Fulmore, Martin has made an impression with his blocking and his ability to stretch the field.
A two-time all-conference selection, Martin has displayed his 4.7-second speed in the 40-yard dash when given the opportunity to catch passes. He was averaging 50.6 yards per catch through six games, scoring touchdowns on four of his five receptions.
Braszo said Martin uses his quickness and speed to create separation from defenders or slip past would-be blockers as a pass-rushing defensive end.
“He can really run the field,” Braszo said. “On defense, he's a good pass rusher. He's strong, so he's been hard to block for other teams. And there's an explosiveness with the way he runs.”
Temple, Massachusetts and Youngstown State are among the schools showing interest.
“The guy from UMass thought he could play tight end,” Braszo said. “I think Temple is more at defensive end. It depends on how they want to use him.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Discipline Pitt’s only option against Georgia Tech
- Suspect in Va. disappearance charged in rape
- Pitt notebook: Chryst didn’t lobby to keep Watt at tight end
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Mars Area schools superintendent resigns after short tenure
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Steelers’ Shazier sits, Justin Brown inactive vs. Texans
- Congress examines NSA official’s part-time job
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- ‘Halloween Nights’ planned at Connellsville tech center
- Project aims for ‘Holy Grail’ of solar, wind energy storage