Gorman: We've got you covered
TribLIVE Sports Videos
When it comes to high school football, like many things in Western Pennsylvania, we're proud of our provincialism.
Pittsburgh is a big city with small-town values. We never forget where we came from, which is why we gravitate back to our beginnings for football.
It's why Joe Namath returned to Beaver Falls to have his jersey retired and Dan Marino's hangs in Central Catholic's locker room, why Hopewell's stadium is named for Tony Dorsett and Penn Hills' training center for Bill Fralic, why Darrelle Revis hosts a youth camp at The Pit in Aliquippa and Steve Breaston and Ryan Mundy one at the Wolvarena in Turtle Creek.
There is an allure to the lore, the Friday night tradition of witnessing the game's greats before they become great.
What makes Western Pennsylvania high school football so special? It's the fabric that connects a community, linking one generation to the next. It's your family, friends and neighbors — sometimes all of the above — playing together one last time.
That's why Trib Total Media covers prep sports, especially football, with the same passion with which you follow it.
The Trib has devoted the resources to provide Western Pennsylvania's indispensable coverage of high school sports.
We brought you a comprehensive, 152-page football preview section, and will have 29 reporters covering games Friday night.
They will feed updates to my new iPreps blog for continuous live coverage online at blog.triblive.com/iPreps.
This column will continue to be featured as the Skylight Spotlight segment on WPXI-TV.
Follow all of it in the Trib.
We've got you covered.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in victory at Verizon Center
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Penn Hills man charged in robbery of The Exchange in Ross
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- Latrobe earns return trip to WPIAL Class AAA wrestling semifinals
- Breen’s long passes key to Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic’s fast break
- Woman charged in Jan. 4 homicide outside Brighton Heights tavern
- HS highlight reel: PIAA approves Clairton sanctions
- Ex-Aliquippa, Pitt star Revis finally realizes Super Bowl dream
- Gorman: Big 33 streak one to savor