Cubs reportedly reach deal with pitcher Edwin Jackson
A person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press that the Chicago Cubs agreed to a four-year, $52 million contract with right-hander Edwin Jackson.
The person spoke Thursday on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been announced. Several outlets had previously reported the agreement.
The Cubs will be the eighth team in 11 years for the 29-year-old Jackson, who also pitched for the White Sox. He is 70-71 lifetime with a 4.40 ERA. He was 10-11 with a 4.03 ERA for Washington last season.
The Cubs also were trying to reach a deal with pitcher Carlos Villanueva.
• Former All-Star third baseman Placido Polanco agreed to a $2.75 million, one-year contract with the Miami Marlins, plugging the final hole in the team's projected lineup following a payroll purge. The 37-year-old, who can earn an additional $250,000 in performance bonuses, battled injuries this year and hit .257 with two home runs and 19 RBI in 90 games with the Philadelphia Phillies. The 15-year veteran is a career .299 hitter with 103 homers.
• The Texas Rangers reportedly agreed to sign free-agent catcher A.J. Pierzynski. The deal is pending a physical and terms aren't immediately available, though multiple reports indicate it's a one-year deal. Pierzynski, 35, hit .278 with 27 homers, 77 RBI and 68 runs last season in 135 games for the White Sox.
• The Phillies and reliever Mike Adams finalized a $12 million, two-year contract. The 34-year-old right-hander is expected to fill the eighth-inning role for the Phillies. He was 5-3 with a 3.27 ERA last season for the Texas Rangers.
• Right-hander Mike Pelfrey and the Minnesota Twins finalized a $4 million, one-year contract. The 28-year-old made just three starts for the New York Mets last season and had elbow ligament-replacement surgery May 1. He went 50-54 with a 4.36 ERA in seven seasons with the Mets.
• Right-handed reliever Yoshinori Tateyama agreed to a minor league contract to remain with the Texas Rangers. The deal announced Thursday includes an invitation to major league spring training camp. Tateyama made 53 appearances for the Rangers during the past two seasons after pitching professionally the previous 11 years in Japan.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- MLB notebook: Angels’ Hamilton suffers drug use relapse, report says
- MLB notebook: Angels’ Hamilton has disciplinary meeting with MLB
- MLB notebook: Commissioner Manfred says changes for speedier game implemented to target young fans
- MLB notebook: Players on 40-man rosters required to take part in domestic violence program