Share This Page
MLB

MLB notebook: A-Rod could be out for year

| Friday, Jan. 25, 2013, 9:18 p.m.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman says it's possible third baseman Alex Rodriguez could miss the entire season while recovering from hip surgery.

Cashman says “there's no guarantees in this stuff” that Rodriguez will be able to play this year.

The 37-year-old Rodriguez had surgery on his left hip last week. The team said the rehabilitation time was expected to be six months, which would sideline the star slugger until the All-Star break.

On Friday, Cashman said it was possible A-Rod could be out all year.

“Yeah,” Cashman told WFAN radio. “I think because (of) the serious nature of the surgery and the condition that he's trying to recover from, you know, there is that chance.”

“I can't say it's not possible that he won't be back,” he said.

Mariners sign Paulino

The Mariners signed catcher Ronny Paulino to a minor league deal with an invite to the major league camp.

Paulino, 31, spent last season in Baltimore, playing 20 games and spending the rest of the season at Triple-A Norfolk. Paulino previously played parts of eight major league seasons with Pittsburgh, Florida and the New York Mets.

Royals add catcher

The Royals claimed catcher George Kottaras off waivers from the Oakland Athletics and designated infielder Tony Abreu for assignment.

Kottaras will compete for a backup job behind Salvador Perez in Kansas City.

Kottaras hit .220 with 24 homers and 84 RBIs in 249 career games with the Red Sox, Brewers and Athletics.

ChiSox sign Lindstrom

The White Sox agreed to a one-year contract with reliever Matt Lindstrom that includes a club option for 2014. The 32-year-old right-hander was 1-0 with a 2.68 ERA and 40 strikeouts over 46 games with Baltimore and Arizona last season.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.