MLB notebook: A-Rod could be out for year
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman says it's possible third baseman Alex Rodriguez could miss the entire season while recovering from hip surgery.
Cashman says “there's no guarantees in this stuff” that Rodriguez will be able to play this year.
The 37-year-old Rodriguez had surgery on his left hip last week. The team said the rehabilitation time was expected to be six months, which would sideline the star slugger until the All-Star break.
On Friday, Cashman said it was possible A-Rod could be out all year.
“Yeah,” Cashman told WFAN radio. “I think because (of) the serious nature of the surgery and the condition that he's trying to recover from, you know, there is that chance.”
“I can't say it's not possible that he won't be back,” he said.
Mariners sign Paulino
The Mariners signed catcher Ronny Paulino to a minor league deal with an invite to the major league camp.
Paulino, 31, spent last season in Baltimore, playing 20 games and spending the rest of the season at Triple-A Norfolk. Paulino previously played parts of eight major league seasons with Pittsburgh, Florida and the New York Mets.
Royals add catcher
The Royals claimed catcher George Kottaras off waivers from the Oakland Athletics and designated infielder Tony Abreu for assignment.
Kottaras will compete for a backup job behind Salvador Perez in Kansas City.
Kottaras hit .220 with 24 homers and 84 RBIs in 249 career games with the Red Sox, Brewers and Athletics.
ChiSox sign Lindstrom
The White Sox agreed to a one-year contract with reliever Matt Lindstrom that includes a club option for 2014. The 32-year-old right-hander was 1-0 with a 2.68 ERA and 40 strikeouts over 46 games with Baltimore and Arizona last season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Labor United Celebration draws 25,000 to Northmoreland Park
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Harrison rejects criticism of disorderly conduct ordinance
- If ‘evil’ doesn’t apply to ISIS, what does?
- Apollo Council, solicitor prepare vacancy ordinance
- Visual search still hampered by image issues
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- New Dayton food pantry sees more people each week
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer looks to extend playoff streak