MLB notebook: Former Pirates catcher Barajas signs with D'backs
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, Feb. 10, 2013, 6:06 p.m.
Former Pirates catcher Rod Barajas returned to the Arizona Diamondbacks, where he started his major league career.
The team said Sunday the 37-year-old agreed to a minor league contract. He will go to spring training and compete with Wil Nieves for a backup job behind Miguel Montero.
Barajas hit .206 with 11 homers and 31 RBI in 321 at-bats for the Pirates last year. According to STATS, he threw out just four of 97 runners attempting to steal on him.
Also, infielder Aaron Hill's $40.5 million, four-year contract with the Diamondbacks calls for salaries of $11 million in 2014 and $12 million in each of the following two seasons.
The 30-year-old Hill was signed for $5.5 million this year and agreed to the new deal Friday.
Issues in Hernandez deal
Felix Hernandez's record-setting contract with the Seattle Mariners may have hit a snag.
ESPN reported that after the framework of a seven-year, $175 million deal — a record for a pitcher — had been discussed, concerns have arisen about his pitching elbow.
Sources said the two sides aren't close to finalizing the extension because of the medical issue.
Hernandez, a right-hander, has thrown 1,6201⁄3 innings before his 27th birthday.
Hernandez is under contract with the Mariners for $19.5 million this season and $20 million in 2014.
Indians sign Dice-K, Giambi
The Cleveland Indians signed Japanese right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka to a minor league contract. Matsuzaka, who pitched for Indians manager Terry Francona with the Boston Red Sox, must pass a physical for the deal to be finalized. The 32-year-old Matsuzaka has won 50 major league games since signing a $52 million, six-year contract with Boston as free agent in 2007.
The Indians also signed first baseman-designated hitter Jason Giambi to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. The 42-year-old Giambi spent the past three-plus seasons filling a part-time role with the Rockies.
Freese gets 1-year deal
Former World Series MVP David Freese will earn $3.15 million under his one-year contract with the St. Louis Cardinals, nearly six times the $518,000 he made last year. A St. Louis County native, Freese hit .283 with 20 home runs and 79 RBI last season and earned his first All-Star appearance.
Hairston, Cubs finalize pact
Outfielder Scott Hairston and the Chicago Cubs finalized a two-year contract. The 32-year-old Hairston hit .263 with a career-high 20 homers, 57 RBI and 25 doubles last year in his second season with the New York Mets.
Galarraga joins Reds
Pitcher Armando Galarraga agreed to a minor league contract with the Cincinnati Reds and will try to win a job at spring training.
The 31-year-old right-hander was 0-4 with a 6.75 ERA in five starts last year with the Houston Astros. He lost a perfect game on June 2, 2010, while pitching for Detroit when first base umpire Jim Joyce called Cleveland's Jason Donald safe on what replays showed should have been the final out of the game.
Orioles' contract details
All-Star closer Jim Johnson will make $6.5 million, and pitcher Jason Hammel will earn $6.75 million under their one-year contracts with the Baltimore Orioles. In addition, the Orioles were working toward a $5.8 million, two-year contract with middle reliever Darren O'Day.
Lowe gets shot with L.A.
Mark Lowe and the Los Angeles Dodgers agreed to a minor league contract, giving the team another bullpen option in spring training. The 29-year-old right-hander was 0-2 with a 3.43 ERA in 36 relief appearances for the Texas Rangers last year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Former Pirate Parker does not make Hall of Fame
- Report: Ellsbury reaches 7-year deal with Yankees
- MLB notebook: Mariners make push for Cano
- MLB notebook: Mariners reportedly sign Robinson Cano