Baseball notebook: USA eliminated from WBC
By The Associated Press
Published: Friday, March 15, 2013, 11:06 p.m.
Giancarlo Stanton has carried the Marlins for many a game. His last at-bat Friday afforded him the chance to take not only a team but an entire country on his shoulders.
With one out, the bases loaded and Team USA trailing Puerto Rico by two runs in the eighth, Stanton stepped into the Marlins Park batter's box from where he's launched countless pitches. On the eighth pitch of his at-bat against Fernando Cabrera, Stanton reached for a slider and popped it up into short left for the second out.
Team USA would add one more run that inning, but it wasn't enough to stave off World Baseball Classic elimination. Ex-Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez and Puerto Rico stunned Joe Torre's squad, 4-3. That earned them a trip to San Francisco for the championship round with the Dominican Republic, Japan and the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Wright has rib strain
Mets third baseman David Wright has a moderate strain on the left side of his rib cage that will shut him down until next week, leaving his status for opening day uncertain.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Wright would rest for three to five days. Only time will tell whether the 30-year-old star is ready to begin the regular season on April 1, the GM said Friday.
Wright signed an eight-year, $138 million extension with the Mets in the offseason. He missed most of the spring training games last year with a torn rib cage muscle.
Tigers' minor leaguer suspended 100 games
The Tigers said minor league right-hander Cesar Carrillo has been suspended 100 games for violating baseball's minor league drug prevention and treatment program.
Carrillo's name was included in a Miami New Times report earlier this year, when the alternative weekly newspaper said it had acquired records from a Florida clinic the paper said sold performance-enhancing drugs.
Jays prospects get sensitivity lecture
The founder of an organization that promotes equality among athletes has talked to Blue Jays minor leaguers about the damaging effects of anti-gay slurs.
Patrick Burke founded You Can Play and spoke Friday at the Blue Jays' camp. He is the son of former Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke and the brother of the late Brendan Burke, who made headlines when he came out in November 2009 while serving as the manager of Miami (Ohio's) hockey team. Brendan died a few months later in a car accident.
The visit came after former Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar was suspended for three games by the team late last season for wearing eye-black displaying an anti-gay slur written in Spanish..
‘Tommy John' doctor honored
Dr. Frank Jobe, who developed the elbow procedure known as “Tommy John surgery” that has helped baseball players extend their careers, will be honored during Hall of Fame induction weekend July 27.
Tommy John will attend the ceremony to help honor Jobe for his impact on the sport. John was diagnosed with a ruptured MCL in his left elbow in 1974 when Jobe tried a procedure in which he removed a tendon from John's forearm and repaired his elbow.
Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson said Jobe's work is a testament to the role of medicine in baseball's growth.
Yankees add Boesch
The Yankees agreed to terms on a one-year contract with outfielder Brennan Boesch.
The 27-year old Boesch hit .240 with 12 home runs and 54 RBIs in 132 games with Detroit last season. He was released by the Tigers on Wednesday. New York will be without outfielder Curtis Granderson until at least May because of a broken right forearm.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.