MLB notebook: Teixeira fears he could miss 2 months of season
Mark Teixeira said he has a partially torn tendon sheath in his right wrist and didn't rule out missing up to two months of the regular season.
The first baseman rejoined the Yankees at spring training Sunday after getting hurt March 5 while with the U.S. team at the World Baseball Classic. The injury initially was announced as a strained wrist.
Teixeira plans to start limited baseball drills in about a week and is optimistic that surgery will not be necessary.
He was hurt while swinging a weighted bat left-handed off a tee in an indoor cage during pregame warmups with the U.S. at the World Baseball Classic. The Yankees said Teixeira will be out until at least May.
• David Wright wanted to make it clear that playing in the World Baseball Classic had nothing to do with the rib injury he sustained that could cause him to miss Opening Day for the Mets. He explained that “you can get hurt in spring training, you can get hurt before spring training,” and that he didn't get hurt because of the tournament.
• Zack Greinke threw off a mound for the first time since the Dodgers right-hander was shut down March 11 with inflammation in his right elbow. Greinke threw 38 pitches Sunday and said he felt good. The session was his first since his right elbow was injected in Los Angeles with plasma rich in platelets.
• Roy Halladay left Sunday's start for the Phillies after one inning because of a stomach virus. Halladay allowed one hit and a walk against the Orioles before leaving the dugout before the start of the second inning. He was sweating profusely when he was pitching and at one point bent over behind the mound.
• Third baseman Pablo Sandoval was scratched from the Giants lineup for their game against the Rockies on Sunday because of right elbow discomfort.
• Jon Lester pitched six perfect innings and combined with his bullpen to hold the Rays without a baserunner until one out in the ninth, leading the Red Sox to a 5-1 victory Sunday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Braves part ways with struggling Uggla
- MLB notebook: Morales headed back to Mariners
- Pirates’ McCutchen starts All-Star Game in style; AL tops NL
- MLB notebook: Yankees acquire Headley from Padres
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Maybin suspended 25 games