MLB notebook: Ex-Pirates outfielder Bay makes Mariners roster
• The Mariners kept former Pirate Jason Bay on the Opening Day roster as the club's fifth outfielder. Bay, who signed a $1 million, one-year contract in December, batted .321 with two homers and six RBI in 18 exhibition games.
• Kevin Slowey (Upper St. Clair) and former Pirates reliever Chad Qualls were added to the Marlins' 40-man roster, and former Pirates outfielder Gorkys Hernandez was designated for assignment. Slowey, who hasn't pitched in the majors since he went 0-8 for the Twins in 2011, went 2-0 with a 2.41 ERA this spring.
• The Orioles selected the contract of former Pirates outfielder Steve Pearce from Triple-A Norfolk, a day after the Orioles said he had made the Opening Day roster.
• The Reds made their final bullpen moves, sending right-handed relievers Logan Ondrusek and Jose Arredondo to the minors. The Reds chose to keep left-hander Manny Parra, who signed a one-year, $1 million deal in February, and right-hander Alfredo Simon.
• The Rays placed designated hitter Luke Scott on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right calf and designated catchers Stephen Vogt and Robinson Chirinos for assignment.
• Bob Turley, a hard-throwing right-hander who started Game 7 of the 1960 World Series for the Yankees against the Pirates, died of liver cancer Saturday at age 82. Turley, who won Game 2 of the '60 series, lasted only one inning against the Pirates. He surrendered three earned runs and received a no-decision in the game, which Bill Mazeroski won with a leadoff homer in the bottom of the ninth. Turley went 101-85 with a 3.64 ERA in his 12-year career. He went 21-7 with a 2.97 ERA in 1958 and won the AL Cy Young Award.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Blue Jays trade for Tigers ace Price
- MLB notebook: Phillies trade Hamels to Rangers for prospects
- MLB notebook: Nationals acquire closer Papelbon from Phillies
- Blue Jays land Price in Toronto’s 2nd big trade of week
- Cardinals add outfielder Moss in trade with Indians
- Phillies’ Hamels hurls 1st no-hitter vs. Cubs since 1965
- MLB notebook: Red Sox place Pedroia on 15-day DL with hamstring injury