MLB notebook: Ex-Pirates outfielder Bay makes Mariners roster
• The Mariners kept former Pirate Jason Bay on the Opening Day roster as the club's fifth outfielder. Bay, who signed a $1 million, one-year contract in December, batted .321 with two homers and six RBI in 18 exhibition games.
• Kevin Slowey (Upper St. Clair) and former Pirates reliever Chad Qualls were added to the Marlins' 40-man roster, and former Pirates outfielder Gorkys Hernandez was designated for assignment. Slowey, who hasn't pitched in the majors since he went 0-8 for the Twins in 2011, went 2-0 with a 2.41 ERA this spring.
• The Orioles selected the contract of former Pirates outfielder Steve Pearce from Triple-A Norfolk, a day after the Orioles said he had made the Opening Day roster.
• The Reds made their final bullpen moves, sending right-handed relievers Logan Ondrusek and Jose Arredondo to the minors. The Reds chose to keep left-hander Manny Parra, who signed a one-year, $1 million deal in February, and right-hander Alfredo Simon.
• The Rays placed designated hitter Luke Scott on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right calf and designated catchers Stephen Vogt and Robinson Chirinos for assignment.
• Bob Turley, a hard-throwing right-hander who started Game 7 of the 1960 World Series for the Yankees against the Pirates, died of liver cancer Saturday at age 82. Turley, who won Game 2 of the '60 series, lasted only one inning against the Pirates. He surrendered three earned runs and received a no-decision in the game, which Bill Mazeroski won with a leadoff homer in the bottom of the ninth. Turley went 101-85 with a 3.64 ERA in his 12-year career. He went 21-7 with a 2.97 ERA in 1958 and won the AL Cy Young Award.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Retailers court web customers with free shipping
- U.S. military shifts strategy to smaller Iraq force
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Black Friday trends, tactics change, but Americans still love bargains
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Researchers at Pennsylvania’s top universities take to the web to fund projects
- Flurry of business activity enlivening quaint Saxonburg
- No federal funds to help enforce Pa. ban on texting by drivers
- Florida roommates find a career in playing video games on web channel Twitch
- Penguins notebook: Winning home games crucial for Penguins
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’