MLB notebook: Tigers sign Valverde to minor league deal
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Thursday, April 4, 2013, 7:48 p.m.
• The Tigers and former closer Jose Valverde agreed to terms on a minor league contract. Valverde, 35, is a three-time All Star who led the AL with 49 saves in 2011 but wasn't as effective in 2012. He struggled badly in the playoffs, became a free agent and wasn't re-signed.
• Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts will undergo an MRI after injuring his right hamstring while stealing second base in the ninth inning of Thursday's 6-3 victory over the Rays.
• Marlins first baseman Casey Kotchman is heading to the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
• Hiroki Kuroda still felt a little discomfort in his bruised middle finger but said he will try to make his next scheduled start for the Yankees.
• Right-hander Chris Young agreed to a minor league contract with the Nationals.
• Indians left-hander Scott Kazmir was placed on the 15-day DL with a strained ribcage muscle.
• Vladimir Guerrero signed a deal with the independent Long Island Ducks, according to Fox Sports. A career .318 hitter, he last played a major league game in 2011.
• Reggie Jackson is selling the jersey he wore when he hit three home runs in Game 6 of the 1977 World Series. The Yankees uniform will be sold online by SCP Auctions. Jackson said he would use the proceeds to make “significant” donations to family members as well as his Mr. October Foundation for Kids.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Upper St. Clair’s Slowey joins Marlins’ rotation
- Major League Baseball notebook: Rays pitcher Moore to miss rest of season
- Plum native McGough earns degree, focuses on returning to form
- MLB notebook: Pedroia scratched from lineup with sore wrist
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Gyorko gets 6-year deal