MLB notebook: Nationals' Strasburg has tightness in forearm
• Nationals manager Davey Johnson said pitcher Stephen Strasburg has “a little tightness” in his right forearm and was seen by a doctor after Monday's start. Johnson said the righty will be given medication. Strasburg said he'll be able to make his next scheduled start.
• Kevin Youkilis was out of the Yankees' lineup for the eighth time in nine games because of a bad back Monday, and he could be headed to the disabled list. Youkilis had an MRI and wouldn't speculate about his status.
• Mets third baseman David Wright was held out of the lineup Monday because of a stiff neck and said he hoped to miss only one game. He said neck spasms began to bother him Sunday, and he felt worse when he woke up Monday.
• Making a move to shore up a shaky bullpen, the Cardinals demoted struggling left-handed reliever Marc Rzepczynski to the minors.
• Mariano Rivera is writing an autobiography. Little, Brown and Co. said it will publish “The Closer” next spring. The career saves leader, who turns 44 in November, said he's retiring this fall following his 19th season with the Yankees.
• The Marlins' Giancarlo Stanton left Monday's game after trying in vain to beat out a groundball. The 2012 National League slugging leader rose slowly and limped off the field.
• Outfielder Casper Wells was sent from the Athletics to the White Sox for cash.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Clairton among greatest WPIAL dynasties; Aliquippa, South Fayette close
- Gilbert, son of ex-Pitt football standout, commits to Panthers
- WPIAL history full of football dynasties
- Holiday cards evoke Pittsburgh cheer, benefit charities
- Take deal breakers off your list of deal breakers
- WPIAL Class AAAA final preview: Penn-Trafford looking to reverse trend of playoff losses to Central Catholic
- Democrats unfazed by Paris
- Gorman: Dynasties began with devastating defeats
- WPIAL Class AA final preview: Rivals South Fayette, Aliquippa to play for title for record 3rd straight season
- Paris attacks complicate refugee debate