MLB notebook: Draft bonus pool up 8.2 percent
• Major League Baseball teams can spend a little more money on amateur draft picks this year. The signing bonus values for the selections in next month's draft will increase by 8.2 percent, players and owners agreed this week. The value for the No. 1 pick increased to $7,790,400 from $7.2 million. Stanford right-hander Mark Appel was projected as the top pick last year but the Astros instead selected Carlos Correa and signed the 17-year-old shortstop for $4.8 million, the smallest amount for a No. 1 pick since 2006. Appel was selected by the Pirates with the eighth pick, which had a value of $2.9 million, and didn't sign.
• AL Cy Young winner David Price was put on the disabled list for the first time in his career, a day after the struggling Tampa Bay ace was slowed by a strained left triceps. “We're just giving it some time to calm down,” Price said. “I feel pretty good today. I feel better than when I left last night.”
• Red Sox reliever Joel Hanrahan underwent surgery to repair his flexor tendon and also had Tommy John surgery, MLB.com reported. Bone spurs were also removed. Hanrahan won't pitch again this season and could miss some of the 2014 season.
• Braves reliever Jonny Venters underwent the second major elbow operation of his career and will miss the rest of the season.
• Veteran left-handerAndy Pettitte left the Yankees' game against Seattle in the fifth inning with an apparent injury. Trailing 2-1, Pettitte struck out Kyle Seager for the second out of the fifth and reached for his right side.
• Reid Ryan, the son of Hall of Fame pitcher and Rangers CEO Nolan Ryan, has been chosen to be the Astros' next president.
• The Rangers placed right-hander Alexi Ogando on the 15-day DL because of tendinitis in his right biceps.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Cracked rib sidelines Jays’ Reyes vs. Braves
- Hamstring strain sends Brewers outfielder Gomez to DL
- MLB notebook: Rangers starter Holland out at least 6 weeks
- MLB notebook: MLB investigating string of positive steroid tests
- MLB notebook: Mets 3B Wright placed on DL with strained hamstring