MLB notebook: Rangers place Kinsler on DL
• The Rangers placed second baseman Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list because of bruised ribs and recalled top prospect Jurickson Profar from Triple-A Round Rock. Because Kinsler entered Friday night's game as a pinch-runner, the DL move was retroactive to Saturday, when Kinsler didn't play. The earliest he would be eligible to return is June 2.
• Phillies catcher Carlos Ruiz and first baseman Ryan Howard will have MRI exams Monday. Ruiz will miss Monday's game at the Marlins after straining his right hamstring Sunday in a 3-2 victory over the Reds. Ruiz, who said he felt a “pop” while running the bases in the second inning, didn't make the trip but hopes to rejoin the team Tuesday in Miami. Howard didn't play Sunday because of left knee soreness. He joined the team on the trip to Miami, but manager Charlie Manuel didn't sound optimistic about Howard's chances to play Monday.
• The Cardinals will promote rookie lefty Tyler Lyons from the minors to make his major league debut in place of injured Jaime Garcia on Wednesday. Down two starters for the time being, they've also plugged Mitchell Boggs back into the bullpen mix.
• The Indians expect right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka to pitch again in the minor leagues within the next month after an oblique injury sidelined him. Matsuzaka has been out since April 28 when he hurt his side while pitching for Triple-A Columbus. Indians vice president Ross Atkins said Sunday that the Japanese right-hander is progressing, and he believes Matsuzaka will be pitching again “in weeks, not months.”
• Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli said he still is hoping to return from a broken hand before the All-Star break. He is on the 60-day DL.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bumgarner stars in Game 7 as Giants win World Series
- Cardinals’ Taveras dies in car accident
- Giants surge past Royals, even World Series
- Bumgarner shuts out Royals, Giants take 3-2 lead in World Series
- MLB notebook: Thousands attending Taveras’ burial