Shady Side Academy graduate Giel to sign with Yankees
Pitcher Tim Giel made sure major league teams knew who he was.
Before and after the draft, he had his coaches from high school, college and summer ball contact teams regularly to remind them he was still unsigned and on the market.
On Thursday, a breakthrough: Someone finally called back.
The New York Yankees made a free-agent offer to Giel, a West Deer resident and graduate of Shady Side Academy and Columbia University. He will travel to Tampa on Friday morning to sign the contract.
“It was a good surprise; I was hoping to go in the draft, but I guess I slipped through the cracks,” said Giel, 22, who was born in Shaler. “Some guys dropped a little farther, and teams went after them instead.”
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Some Thomas Jefferson HS parents told to bring more appropriate clothes to school for their kids
- Paramedics rescue flip-flop-wearing man from steep hillside
- Steelers wrap lackluster preseason with loss to Panthers
- Young adults drive home rental trend in Western Pennsylvania
- Ex-Pittsburgh teacher settles discrimination suit
- End in sight for Route 28 construction
- Cause of Harrison mobile home fire can’t be found
- Moon man arrested on child porn charges
- 10 awesome things you didn’t know your phone could do
- Penguins confident Pouliot will be healthy, ready for camp
- West Mifflin fire displaces family