MLB notebook: Rays' pitcher Cobb hit in head with line drive
Rays right-hander Alex Cobb was taken off the field on a stretcher after he was hit on the right ear by a liner off the bat of Kansas City's Eric Hosmer in the fifth inning of Saturday's game.
The Rays announced that Cobb remained conscious the whole time and was taken to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg for further examination. Rays spokesman Rick Vaughn said all tests were normal and that Cobb suffered a mild concussion.
Cobb put a hand on his head after being struck. Trainers from both teams and other medical staff immediately ran onto the field.
Report: Astros, Appel agree to deal
The Astros reached a deal with No. 1 overall pick Mark Appel, CBSSports.com reported. The Stanford right-hander is expected to get between $6 million and $6.5 million. He turned down a $3.3 million offer from the Pirates after being the eighth overall selection a year ago.
Reds put Broxton on DL
The Reds placed right-handed reliever Jonathan Broxton on the 15-day disabled list with a sore pitching elbow.
Marlins place C Olivo on restricted list
The Marlins placed catcher Miguel Olivo on the restricted list, one day after he left the team without permission, apparently unhappy that he had seen little playing time recently.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Monroeville Mall policy aims to tame teen shoppers
- Munhall resident pleads guilty but mentally ill for killing his mother
- Business Gallery, March 1, 2015
- Butler County spotlight athletes: March 1, 2015
- Rostraver police investigating alleged sexual misconduct between Ringgold HS employee, student
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Top residential, commercial deals of the week — March 1
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Undefeated Aliquippa downs Seton-La Salle for WPIAL Class AA title
- To find best career path, start with a book, look to past