MLB notebook: Rangers' Gentry on disabled list
The Texas Rangers placed outfielder Craig Gentry on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Friday, with a non-displaced fracture of his left hand.
Outfielder Engel Beltre was recalled from Triple-A Round Rock in time for Sunday night's game against the Cardinals.
Gentry was hit by a pitch June 18 against Oakland, and an MRI exam taken Saturday revealed the fracture. He's batting .216 with one homer and nine RBI in 51 games.
It's the first major league call-up for the 23-year-old Beltre, who is batting .300 with four homers and 21 RBI in 72 games at Round Rock. He's a left-handed hitter and leads the team with 44 runs scored, and had a homer and six RBI in the last seven games.
Yankees recall Nova
The Yankees recalled right-hander Ivan Nova from Triple-A to start Sunday against the Tampa Bay Rays and optioned outfielder Thomas Neal back to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
Nova made his first start for the Yankees since April, though he made two relief appearances in late May. He never pitched beyond the fifth inning in any of his four starts, and had an ERA of 5.16 with 26 strikeouts in 22 2⁄3 innings.
Nova was moved to the bullpen after returning from a stint on the disabled list due to tightness in his right triceps.
Swisher back in lineup
Indians first baseman Nick Swisher returned to the lineup after missing six games with a sore left shoulder. The switch-hitter batted cleanup against the Minnesota Twins on Sunday.
Swisher hadn't played since June 15. He's been playing with the shoulder injury for most of the season and received a cortisone injection last week.
The injury has affected Swisher's production at the plate. He is in a 6-for-55 slump, and his average has dropped to .237 with seven homers and 24 RBI.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trib Total Media puts 9 Western Pa. newspapers up for sale
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- LaBar: The upgrade of The Wyatt Family in WWE
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Steelers’ Martavis Bryant facing four-game suspension
- 2 dead in Bullskin crash
- Franklin Regional stabbing suspect Hribal to head to adult prison after Oct. 1
- 10-year-old Blairsville violinist’s expulsion over knife challenged
- Golfer’s body found in lake at Moon country club
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury
- Class AAAA breakdown: Wealth of talent places target on Central Catholic