MLB notebook: Braun back, Ramirez on DL for Brewers
• Ryan Braun is back for the Brewers, but Aramis Ramirez is out again. Braun was activated from the disabled list Monday after he was sidelined for a month with a bruised right thumb. While the 2011 NL MVP returned, the Brewers decided to put Ramirez on the DL again with a nagging left-knee injury.
• Rays right-hander Alex Cobb, hit in the head by a ball in June, hasn't ruled out pitching again in the next month. Cobb, struck in the right ear by a liner hit by Kansas City's Eric Hosmer on June 15, threw off a mound for the second time since being hurt before Monday night's game against Minnesota. Cobb is scheduled to have another bullpen session Thursday and hopes to face hitters soon after that.
• Phillies slugger Ryan Howard needs surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee and will miss at least six to eight weeks.
• The Nationals acquired outfielder Scott Hairston from the Cubs for minor league pitcher Ivan Pineyro.
• The Dodgers placed center fielder Matt Kemp on the 15-day disabled list with joint inflammation in his troublesome left shoulder. Kemp was injured while swinging the bat against San Francisco on Friday night and hasn't played since.
• Right-hander Jeremy Bonderman's comeback with the Mariners is over after he was designated for assignment following consecutive poor starts.
• The Yankees added first baseman Travis Ishikawa to their 25-man roster and inserted their latest fill-in player into the starting lineup Monday. The Yankees claimed the 29-year-old off waivers from Baltimore on Sunday.
• The Royals moved Bruce Chen into their starting rotation and shifted Luis Mendoza to the bullpen.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Fox Sports hires Pete Rose as studio analyst
- MLB notebook: Mets 3B Wright placed on DL with strained hamstring
- MLB notebook: Mets reliever suspended 80 games for PEDs
- MLB notebook: Indians catcher Gomes expected to be out 6-8 weeks
- Hamstring strain sends Brewers outfielder Gomez to DL
- MLB notebook: Cracked rib sidelines Jays’ Reyes vs. Braves