MLB notebook: Giants pitcher hit with more charges
• Giants pitcher Chad Gaudin, accused of touching a woman's breast at a Las Vegas hospital earlier this year, now faces a lewdness charge. Gaudin, 30, was arrested Jan. 27 and charged earlier this month with open and gross lewdness. His attorney said Gaudin was ill at the time. Police say he was drunk and told the women she was gorgeous.
• Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish was placed on the 15-day disabled list and will miss the All-Star Game.
• Cardinals pitcherChris Carpenter is set to make his first minor league rehabilitation start next week. The former Cy Young winner, dealing with nerve issues, pitched a three-inning simulated game Wednesday. Carpenter will start Monday for Double-A Springfield.
• Ryan Howard had surgery Wednesday morning to repair a tear in his left knee. The Phillies' star will miss six to eight weeks.
• Former closer John Rocker told a Cleveland radio station this week that performance-enhancing drugs made baseball “more entertaining” during the Steroids Era. Rocker told WKRK-FM: “Honestly, and this may go against what some people think from an ethical standpoint, I think it was the better game.”
• Ryan Braun was out of the Brewers' starting lineup against the Reds to rest his sore right thumb. Braun started Tuesday after missing 26 games because of an inflamed nerve in his right hand.
• The Yankees, desperate for offense, are talking to teams about right-handed starter Phil Hughes, ESPN reported. Hughes is 4-8 with a 4.55 ERA.
• The Astros promoted top overall pick Mark Appel to Low-A Quad Cities of the Midwest League. In two starts in the New York-Penn League, he had a 3.60 ERA with six strikeouts and two walks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Marlins’ Cosart denies he bet on baseball
- MLB notebook: Tigers’ Verlander not worried about arm injury
- MLB notebook: Cubs send highly touted Bryant to minors
- MLB notebook: Cardinals ace Wainwright sharp in tuneup for opening night
- MLB notebook: Marlins pitcher Cosart subject of gambling probe
- MLB notebook: Manfred reiterates stance on Yankees’ Rodriguez