MLB notebook: Replacements picked for All-Star Game
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 10:33 p.m.
• National League manager Bruce Bochy on Sunday selected Sergio Romo, his Giants closer, as a replacement pick for the All-Star Game. Also added was Atlanta catcher Brian McCann and St. Louis closer Edward Mujica, a replacement for teammate Adam Wainwright, who started Sunday night. Pirates pitcher Jeff Locke, Nationals right-hander Jordan Zimmermann and Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman, all on the original NL All-Star roster, are hurt and will miss Tuesday night's game at Citi Field. Baltimore pitcher Chris Tillman, Kansas City closer Greg Holland and Oakland closer Grant Balfour were chosen as replacements by AL manager Jim Leyland. Opting out were Tigers ace Justin Verlander, Seattle's Hisashi Iwakuma and Oakland's Bartolo Colon, who all started Sunday. Under baseball's labor contract, pitchers who start on the Sunday before the All-Star game may opt not to participate.
• The Detroit Tigers have agreed to a minor league deal with right-hander Jeremy Bonderman, who pitched for the team from 2003-2010. The 30-year-old Bonderman is expected to join Triple-A Toledo on Thursday at Buffalo.
• Mike Piazza will be inducted into the New York Mets Hall of Fame during Fan Appreciation Day on Sept. 29 at Citi Field. The Mets made the announcement Sunday, before the former catcher played in the celebrity softball game ahead of Tuesday night's All-Star Game.
• Alex Rodriguez had a run-scoring double and two RBI for Single-A Tampa on Sunday, his first extra-base hit during a minor league rehabilitation assignment. Rodriguez was 1 for 3 with a walk as the designated hitter against Bradenton, the Pirates' affiliate. Coming back from hip surgery in January, he is scheduled to join Double-A Trenton for Monday's Eastern League game at Reading.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Harvey photo flap causes him to shut down Twitter account
- MLB notebook: Thumb injury sidelines Angels’ Hamilton for 6-to-8 weeks
- MLB notebook: Dodgers ace Kershaw pitches simulated game
- MLB notebook: Brewers plan to unveil Uecker statue