MLB notebook: Report: Rodriguez expects to re-join Yankees on Monday
Is Alex Rodriguez's long-awaited and long-fretted-over return to the Yankees upon us at last? To hear, A-Rod tell it, yes, it might be. Here's what Rodriguez told WFAN on Wednesday:
“I will be back on Monday, and I'm very excited.”
It should be noted that A-Rod qualified that declaration by saying, “If I have a good weekend, I'll be there in Texas.”
On Monday, the Yankees begin a four-game road series against the Rangers. The team hasn't made any announcement regarding Rodriguez's status.
Rodriguez, 37, is working his way back from offseason hip surgery. The timetable isn't earth-shattering, considering his 20-game rehab stint is scheduled to end Monday.
• The All-Star Game's television rating is up slightly from last year's record low. The American League's 3-0 victory Tuesday night on Fox earned a 6.9 rating and 12 share, up from a 6.8/12 in 2012. Played at the Mets' Citi Field, the game's viewership got a boost from its trip to the big market of New York. The 11.3 rating there was up 16 percent from a year ago, when Kansas City hosted.
• A day after being hit by the Mets' Matt Harvey in the All-Star Game, Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano appears to be OK. X-rays were negative on his knee after suffering a bruised quadriceps muscle, and he hopes to be ready for the team's second-half opener at Boston on Friday.
• Pirates prospect Tony Sanchez went 1 for 3 with a three-run homer to help the International League beat the Pacific Coast League, 4-3, in the Triple-A All-Star Game. Indianapolis teammate Vic Black pitched two-thirds of an inning, picking up a hold.
• A jersey worn by Ted Williams in 1946 sold for $184,000 and a Babe Ruth model bat from 1925-27 went for more than $166,000 in live bidding this week by Hunt Auctions. Items from Warren Spahn's personal memorabilia collection amassed over $900,000.
• Cuban baseball player Misael Siverio told a Spanish-language newspaper he has defected to the United States. Siverio was part of the Cuban national team that traveled to Iowa for an exhibition game against a collegiate all-star team from the U.S. Siverio was not listed when Team USA released an updated roster for Cuba.
— Staff and wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Bumgarner stars in Game 7 as Giants win World Series
- Bumgarner shuts out Royals, Giants take 3-2 lead in World Series
- MLB notebook: Thousands attending Taveras’ burial