MLB notebook: Diamondbacks' Gibson blasts 'cheaters' such as Braun
• Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said that “cheaters” such as Ryan Braun rob other players of opportunities for moments such as his pinch-hit home run during the ninth inning of Game 1 of the 1988 World Series for the Dodgers. Braun accepted a 65-game suspension last month. The Brewers' star apologized for ‘'mistakes'' but has yet to publicly admit to using performance-enhancing drugs.
• Joe Torre believes Major League Baseball is working on winning back fans' trust when it comes to cleaning up its reputation regarding performance-enhancing drugs. “Baseball needs to get the fans' trust back again, and we're doing everything we can to make that happen,” the MLB executive vice president said while attending the Little League World Series on Sunday.
• Mike Trout left the Angels' game against Houston in the sixth inning Sunday with tightness in his right hamstring. Trout flied out to center in the fifth, and Kole Calhoun replaced him in the outfield in the sixth.
• The Braves changed their rotation for their upcoming series at the Mets after they had to use starter Kris Medlen in relief during Saturday night's 15-inning loss to the Nationals. Medlen had been scheduled for Tuesday's opening game in New York. Instead, Brandon Beachy will move up one day to start Tuesday. Alex Wood also moves up one day for Wednesday's start.
• The Mets placed right-hander Jenrry Mejia on the 15-day disabled list after he had to leave Saturday's start because he experienced pain in his surgically repaired elbow. He had Tommy John surgery in 2011.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Mariners fire New Castle native Zduriencik as GM
- Plum grad McGough realizes dream, unfazed by demotion to minors
- MLB notebook: Foul ball strikes woman after Manfred address fan safety issue
- After legal win, ex-Pirates star Bonds unapologetic, leaves others to judge career
- MLB notebook: Wright slated to return from DL, start for Mets
- MLB notebook: Knee injury puts Yanks’ Sabathia on 15-day DL
- Freak injury lands Giants lefty on DL