MLB notebook: Braves' Heyward out for season with broken jaw
• Braves outfielder Jason Heyward was struck in the right jaw by a Jonathan Niese pitch in a scary moment during the sixth inning of Wednesday's Braves-Mets game and was to be taken to a local hospital for X-rays, which showed that Heyward's jaw is fractured in two places. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported he will miss the rest of the regular season. Heyward is batting .254 with 13 homers and 37 RBI.
• Alex Rodriguez said he's cutting off all non-baseball talk after a wild weekend of accusations and retaliations on and off the field. Rodriguez was not in the Yankees' lineup Wednesday night, a day after playing both games of a doubleheader. The three-time MVP said he wants to put the focus solely on baseball while the Yankees make a push for a spot in the playoffs.
• Yankees captain Derek Jeter's report to the Yankees' Triple-A affiliate in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Thursday night to play at least two games before potentially rejoining the Yankees this weekend in Tampa, manager Joe Girardi said.
• First baseman David Ortiz left the Red Sox's 12-1 victory over the Giants in the fifth inning Wednesday because of tightness in his lower back.
• The Phillies signed free-agent outfielder Roger Bernadina, who batted .178 with two homers and six RBI in 85 games with the Nationals this year.
• Mike Shannon, 74, the former Cardinals third baseman who has been a popular radio broadcaster for the team for more than 40 years, is recovering after heart surgery.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Artis leads Pitt to lopsided victory over Cornell
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- 1 dead, 1 injured after crash in North Point Breeze
- Warrants issued for women accused of prostitution in New Stanton sting