MLB notebook: Cards put struggling Westbrook on DL
• Right-handerJake Westbrook, who has struggled for several starts, is being placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Cardinals because of a lower-back strain. Manager Mike Matheny said rookie left-hander Tyler Lyons will take Westbrook's spot in the rotation Monday against Cincinnati. The Cardinals do not believe the injury is season-ending. In his past five starts, Westbrook has given up 30 earned runs in 26 innings.
• Right-hander Matt Cain was placed on the 15-day DL a day after being hit in the pitching arm on a line drive from the Pirates' Gaby Sanchez. X-rays on Cain's bruised forearm were negative.
•Reds setup manJonathan Broxton is expected to miss six months after having right forearm surgery, CBSSports.com reported. Left-hander Sean Marshall has been out since May with shoulder trouble, so the setup onus will fall on Elizabeth Forward product J.J. Hoover and Sam LeCure.
• The Rays acquired outfielder David DeJesus from Washington just four days after the Nationals picked him up from the Cubs.
• The Athletics acquired Kurt Suzuki from the Nationals to boost their injury situation at the position, bringing back a former fan favorite.
• Hall of Famer Vin Scully, one of baseball's most beloved broadcasters, will return to the Dodgers for a record 65th season in 2014.
• The Braves purchased 36-year-old right-handerFreddy Garcia from the Orioles.
— Wire reports