• Right-handerJake Westbrook, who has struggled for several starts, is being placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Cardinals because of a lower-back strain. Manager Mike Matheny said rookie left-hander Tyler Lyons will take Westbrook's spot in the rotation Monday against Cincinnati. The Cardinals do not believe the injury is season-ending. In his past five starts, Westbrook has given up 30 earned runs in 26 innings.
• Right-hander Matt Cain was placed on the 15-day DL a day after being hit in the pitching arm on a line drive from the Pirates' Gaby Sanchez. X-rays on Cain's bruised forearm were negative.
•Reds setup manJonathan Broxton is expected to miss six months after having right forearm surgery, CBSSports.com reported. Left-hander Sean Marshall has been out since May with shoulder trouble, so the setup onus will fall on Elizabeth Forward product J.J. Hoover and Sam LeCure.
• The Rays acquired outfielder David DeJesus from Washington just four days after the Nationals picked him up from the Cubs.
• The Athletics acquired Kurt Suzuki from the Nationals to boost their injury situation at the position, bringing back a former fan favorite.
• Hall of Famer Vin Scully, one of baseball's most beloved broadcasters, will return to the Dodgers for a record 65th season in 2014.
• The Braves purchased 36-year-old right-handerFreddy Garcia from the Orioles.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.