MLB notebook: Rangers' Cruz apologizes for suspension
• Suspended slugger Nelson Cruz wants to be ready if the Rangers make the playoffs. Cruz apologized to the organization and its fans Friday in his first public appearance since he was among 13 players banned 50 games over their relationship with a closed anti-aging clinic in Florida accused of distributing banned performing-enhancing drugs. The right fielder took batting practice and will go to the Arizona instructional league in a bid to be ready when his ban ends after the regular season.
• The Reds recalled former Pirates starter Zach Duke from Triple-A Louisville to add a left-hander to their bullpen. Duke was 2-0 with a 1.36 ERA and two saves in 26 games for Louisville.
• The Indians acquired outfielder Jason Kubel and cash from Arizona. In exchange for Kubel, the Diamondbacks will receive a player to be named later or cash. Kubel was batting .220 with five homers and 32 RBI in 89 games for the Diamondbacks.
• Mariners outfielder Michael Morse was traded to the Orioles in exchange for outfielder Xavier Avery. Baltimore claimed Morse off waivers earlier this week before completing the deal Friday. The 31-year-old Morse hit .226 with 13 homers and 27 RBI in 76 games for Seattle.
• Rockies reliever Rafael Betancourt will have Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ligament in his pitching elbow.
• The Phillies and Cuban pitcher Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez agreed to a $12 million, three-year contract. The 26-year-old, hard-throwing right-hander has a fastball that reaches the upper 90s.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kittanning News carries latest books by Boarts and Creel
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Despite injuries, Penn State’s Nelson ‘thankful’
- Small Business Saturday events set in Connellsville
- Western Pa. dairies get creative to ensure eggnog supply
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team