MLB notebook: Braves add veteran RHP Garcia for stretch drive
The Braves purchased the contract of veteran right-hander Freddy Garcia from Triple-A Gwinnett.
The 36-year-old Garcia is expected to pitch out of the bullpen. Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Garcia also could be used as a spot starter in the final month of the regular season. Garcia is 155-106 in 16 major league seasons with Seattle, the White Sox, Philadelphia, Detroit, the Yankees and Baltimore. He was 3-5 with a 5.77 ERA in 11 games, including 10 starts, with Baltimore this season.
The Braves acquired Garcia from the Orioles on Aug. 23 for cash considerations.
Garcia has pitched in relief in only 16 games in his career, but he said Sunday “I don't have any problem with that.” He said he was excited to be joining a first-place team.
• The Diamondbacks have acquired right-handed reliever Matt Langwell from Cleveland to complete the trade that sent outfielder Jason Kubel to the Indians. Langwell, 27, appeared in five games with the Indians this season, going 1-0 with a 5.06 ERA.
• The Red Sox designated once prominent reliever Daniel Bard for assignment because of the need for a spot on their 40-man roster. The 26-year old Bard, a key part of the back end of Boston's bullpen from 2009-11, has battled control problems the last two seasons.
• Veteran designated hitter Lance Berkman was activated from the disabled list by the Texas Rangers, who also reinstated three pitchers on the first day rosters could expand. The pitchers activated from the DL were right-handers Neftali Feliz and Nick Tepesch and left-hander Michael Kirkman.
• The White Sox promoted left-hander Charlie Leesman and catcher Bryan Anderson from Triple-A Charlotte. Manager Robin Ventura said he expects to use Leesman mostly out of the bullpen and hopes to get Anderson in the lineup soon.
• The Rockies activated right-hander Tyler Chatwood from the 15-day disabled list, allowing him to start Sunday's game against the Reds. The Rockies also recalled infielder Josh Rutledge from Triple-A Colorado Springs.
• The Marlins activated outfielder Chris Coghlan from the disabled list and recalled pitchers Chris Hatcher and Zach Phillips from Triple-A New Orleans.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- MLB notebook: Mets boost lineup, acquire Cespedes from Tigers
- MLB notebook: Phillies trade Hamels to Rangers for prospects
- MLB notebook: Blue Jays trade for Tigers ace Price
- Reds send right-hander Leake to Giants for 2 prospects
- Blue Jays land Price in Toronto’s 2nd big trade of week
- MLB notebook: Royals acquire Cueto from Reds for stretch run
- Cardinals add outfielder Moss in trade with Indians