MLB notebook: Tigers' ailing Cabrera sits out another game
Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera was out of the lineup for Wednesday's game against the Boston Red Sox.
The reigning AL MVP and Triple Crown winner had missed three straight games with what the team called a strained abdomen, but he returned for Tuesday night's 2-1 loss to Boston and went 0 for 4.
Cabrera leads the majors with a .355 average and 130 RBI. He has 43 homers, four behind the Orioles' Chris Davis.
• Washington outfielder Bryce Harper sat out the Nationals' game Wednesday night against Philadelphia to rest his ailing hip. Harper will get an extra day's rest because the Nationals also are off Thursday before opening a series against Miami. Harper is batting .275 with 19 home runs and 49 RBI in 100 games.
• The Blue Jays shut down right fielder Jose Bautista for the rest of the season due to a nagging left hip injury. Bautista has been on the disabled list since Aug. 21. He played 118 games this season, hitting .259 with 28 homers and 73 RBI.
• Mets manager Terry Collins said he's not expecting Ike Davis to return from his strained right oblique this season. Davis is hitting .205 with nine homers and 33 RBI.
• Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu (13-5) was scratched from his scheduled start Friday at Cincinnati because of a back injury. Right-hander Chris Capuano (4-7) will start instead.
• Angels owner Arte Moreno emphasized to city officials that he has the means and willingness to move the team out of Anaheim. A city consultant told city council members that Moreno could move the Angels to Irvine, Irwindale or “at least half a dozen potential sites” in downtown Los Angeles. The warning came as council members voted to allow the Angels to opt out of their current stadium lease as late as 2019 rather than the current date of 2016.
• Ray Grebey, who led Major League Baseball labor negotiations during the 50-day strike that split the 1981 season, died Aug. 28 at age 85.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Tigers hire former Pirates GM Littlefield as scout
- NFL notebook: Dolphins RB Moreno out for season
- Giants defeat Cardinals, 6-4, take 3-1 lead in NLCS