MLB notebook: Reds GM says Baker will return
Reds general manager Walt Jocketty quickly put to rest any speculation that he might be looking to change managers after his team's late-season collapse.
Cincinnati's season ended with a 6-2 loss to the Pirates on Tuesday in the National League wild-card game. That followed a five-game losing streak to end the regular season.
But when asked if he would think about firing manager Dusty Baker, Jocketty said: “I don't think so. He's signed for another year.”
The Reds qualified for the postseason for the third time in the last four seasons. But they were eliminated in the NL Division Series in 2010 and '12.
• Alex Rodriguez and his representatives argued in the appeal of a 211-game suspension that the Yankees third baseman thought he was taking legal supplements supplied by the Biogenesis of America clinic, the New York Daily News reported.
• Red Sox manager John Farrell confirmed what he'd only hinted at before: Left-hander Jon Lester (15-8, 3.75) will start Game 1 of the AL Division Series on Friday.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Mets’ Harvey apologizes to teammates after missing workout
- MLB notebook: Sabathia leaves Yankees to get treatment for alcohol abuse
- MLB notebook: Miami’s Gordon sweeps NL batting, steals titles
- MLB notebook: Former Mets star Staub recovering from heart attack
- MLB notebook: Cardinals outfielder Piscotty released from hospital