MLB notebook: Phillies' Hamels says he won't be ready for Opening Day
• Phillies ace Cole Hamels said he won't be able to make his second straight Opening Day start after feeling discomfort in his pitching arm during the offseason. Hamels is hoping to throw his first bullpen session in the next eight to 10 days.
• Yankees newcomer Masahiro Tanaka finished up his first throwing session with the team. Tanaka worked out Wednesday at the minor league part of the Yankees' spring training complex. Pitching coach Larry Rothschild said Tanaka “looked good” during a long toss session. Tanaka recently signed a $155 million, seven-year contract.
• Former Pirates catcher Ronny Paulino was suspended 100 games for violating the minor league drug program as part of the Tigers organization.
• The Diamondbacks made the signing of right-hander Bronson Arroyo official, five days after the two-year, $23.5 million deal was widely reported.
• Jesus Montero was visibly nervous as he apologized to his Mariners teammates and their fans. The catcher was joining the team at spring training for the first time since receiving a 50-game suspension after being connected to baseball's Biogenesis performance-enhancing drug investigation.
• All-Star closer Greg Holland agreed with the Royals on a one-year contract worth $4,675,000. Holland went 2-1 with a 1.21 ERA and a franchise-record 47 saves last season.
• Mariners pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma will not throw for four to six weeks because of an injury to the middle finger of his right hand. Iwakuma went 14-6 with a 2.66 ERA and 185 strikeouts in 2013.
• Right-hander Jose Valverde and the Mets agreed to a minor league contract. The 35-year-old has 286 saves in an 11-year big league career.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Morales headed back to Mariners
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Maybin suspended 25 games
- MLB notebook: Yankees acquire Headley from Padres
- MLB notebook: Segura returns to Brewers after son’s death
- MLB notebook: Puig to get X-rays in Pittsburgh
- MLB notebook: Rockies place Morneau on 15-day DL