MLB notebook: Jeter on retirement: It was the right time
Derek Jeter said 20 years in the major leagues will be enough. He just wouldn't really say why.
The New York Yankees captain answered questions for nearly half an hour Wednesday, a week after announcing this will be his final season.
“You can't do this forever. I'd like to,” he said. “There's some things I look forward to doing.”
On the day the team's position players reported for spring training, Jeter spoke in the pavilion behind the third-base stands, where closer Mariano Rivera said last March that 2013 would be his final season.
“I felt as though it was the right time,” Jeter said. “I've been doing this for a long time. This will be parts of 20 seasons that I've been playing here in New York and parts of 23 if you count the minor leagues. So I just think I've done it for long enough, and I look forward to doing some other things in my life.”
The Steinbrenner family that owns the team sat in the front row, manager Joe Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman in the second. Teammates, who said his decision shocked and saddened them, were in the rows after that.
Wearing a navy Yankees pullover and shorts, it was the start of the final season for No. 2, the last of the single digits to wear a Yankees uniform.
Jeter, who turns 40 in June, was limited to 17 games last season, hitting .190 with one homer and seven RBIs after breaking an ankle in the 2012 AL championship series opener
“This has nothing to do with how I feel physically,” he said. “Everyone I told when I first started speaking about this with family and friends, they all told me to make sure you take your time, don't base this decision on what happened last season, wait until your healthy and then make the decision. So this has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel physically. Physically I feel great, and I'm looking forward to playing a full season.”
Bailey scores $105M deal
The Reds agreed with starter Homer Bailey on a six-year, $105 million contract a day before his scheduled arbitration hearing.
Bailey was the Reds' final player left in arbitration. The 27-year-old pitcher made $5,350,000 last season. He asked for $11.6 million arbitration, and the Reds offered $8.7 million, their biggest gap with one of their arbitration-eligible players.
Bailey gets salaries of $9 million this year, $10 million in 2015, $18 million in 2016, $19 million in 2017, $21 million in 2018 and $23 million in 2019.
The deal includes a $25 million mutual option for 2020.
The hard-throwing Texan went a career-best 13-10 with a 3.68 ERA in 2012, completing his breakthrough season by throwing a no-hitter against the Pirates at PNC Park. He threw the 16th no-hitter in franchise history last June, a 3-0 win over San Francisco at Great American Ball Park. Bailey went 11-12 with a 3.49 ERA last year.
Braves extend manager, GM
The Braves extended the contracts of general manager Frank Wren and manager Fredi Gonzalez.
Wren and Gonzalez were entering the final years of their contracts, and Braves president John Schuerholz simply said he wanted the deals to be done as soon as possible. Terms were not disclosed.
DH Ortiz eyes extension
David Ortiz wants a one-year contract extension with the Red Sox through 2015 and would like to have that situation resolved soon.
Boston's designated hitter is in the final season of a $26 million, two-year contract.
Ortiz says he would like to get the issue out of the way so it doesn't become a distraction.
Around the league
Major League Baseball has withdrawn its lawsuit against Biogenesis of America, the defunct Florida anti-aging clinic at the center of the scandal involving use of banned substances by players, including Yankees star Alex Rodriguez. ... Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts remains committed to renovating Wrigley Field rather than finding a new home despite ongoing legal issues with the neighboring rooftop owners.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.