MLB notebook: Cruz aims to put 50-game suspension behind him
By The Associated Press
Published: Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, 12:01 a.m.
When it comes to his 50-game drug suspension, Nelson Cruz didn't have much to say during his introduction by the Baltimore Orioles.
Cruz gave short answers to any Biogenesis-related questions during a news conference Tuesday, a day after the 33-year-old outfielder finalized an $8 million, one-year contract.
Cruz said “whatever happened in the past, I look to move forward and have a great year with the Baltimore Orioles.”
Cruz was suspended for 50 games last August while with Texas for a violation of Major League Baseball's drug agreement related to the sport's investigation of the Biogenesis of America anti-aging clinic.
Tanaka debut set
Masahiro Tanaka is scheduled to make his Yankees debut Saturday.
Manager Joe Girardi made the announcement Tuesday.
Tanaka signed a $155 million, seven-year contract in January. He was 24-0 with a 1.27 ERA last year while leading the Rakuten Golden Eagles to the Japan Series title.
Simon to spell Latos
Alfredo Simon has spent most of his major league career as a reliever.
He's going to get a chance to be a starter for the Cincinnati Reds at the start of spring training.
Mat Latos has been slowed by knee surgery, so manager Bryan Price has decided to use Simon as a starter during spring training.
The idea is to get him ready to pitch more innings in case he's needed when the season begins.
Simon made 16 starts for Baltimore in 2011.
Kemp to have MRI
Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp is scheduled for an MRI of his surgically-repaired left ankle on Friday.
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Tuesday the scan will help determine whether Kemp can accelerate his rehabilitation from micro-fracture surgery in October. Kemp is not expected to travel for the season-opening series against Arizona in Sydney on March 22-23.
Angels pitcher struck
Angels starter C.J. Wilson was struck in the left side of the head by a comebacker off the bat of Yorvit Torrealba during live batting practice at one of the back fields at the Tempe Diablo Stadium complex Tuesday, MLB.com reported. The 33-year-old left-hander underwent a precautionary CT scan.
Jaso resumes playing
Oakland catcher John Jaso will take his place behind home plate in a game for the first time since suffering a concussion when he was struck by a foul tip last July 24.
Jaso was given the starting nod for the spring training opener in Scottsdale, Ariz., on Wednesday, a move A's manager Bob Melvin hopes will put Jaso at ease quickly.
Melvin said Jaso, who also has played for Tampa Bay and Seattle, will play four or five innings.
Around the league
Left-hander Jaime Garcia will seek a second opinion on his surgically repaired shoulder from Dr. James Andrews before deciding his next course of action, St. Louis general manager John Mozeliak said on Tuesday. ... Mariners third base coach John Stearns, 62, will be out for the next four to six weeks after undergoing surgery for a hiatal hernia. ... Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston grounded out to second and struck out looking in Florida State's 8-3 loss to the Yankees on Tuesday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Major League Baseball notebook: Rays pitcher Moore to miss rest of season
- MLB pitchers setting velocity records, altering balance of power
- Upper St. Clair’s Slowey joins Marlins’ rotation