MLB notebook: Bonds back in Giants camp as coach
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Barry Bonds is wearing a Giants uniform once again, now as a hitting coach at spring training.
The career home runs leader joined his former team Monday at camp for a weeklong stay.
The 49-year-old former Pirates outfielder appeared slimmer than he did during his big years with the Giants. Bonds spent his last 15 seasons with San Francisco, finishing in 2007 with 762 homers.
The seven-time MVP was involved in legal trouble stemming from the BALCO steroids investigation over the years.
Cardinals introduce shortstop
The Cardinals introduced new Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz, although it may take a while before he gets into a game.
Diaz went through a practice before the Cardinals played Detroit.
Later this week, Diaz will return to Mexico to finalize his work visa. Until that issue is cleared, Diaz can work out with the big league club, but can only play in games on the back fields.
The Cardinals signed the 23-year-old Diaz to a four-year contract over the weekend.
Around the league
Mets first baseman Ike Davis was wearing a walking boot on his right leg Monday. Davis has not played in an exhibition since March 2 because of calf strains in both legs. ... Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin said doctors told him they knew of only one other professional baseball player, a minor-leaguer, to tear a biceps. While it was determined he wouldn't need surgery, he's still expected to miss four to six weeks. ... Former pitcher John Smoltz will work as an analyst for Fox's Major League Baseball telecasts. He will continue in the same capacity for MLB Network.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Plum man killed in Saltsburg Road rollover
- 6 shot at Clairton speakeasy; police seek suspects
- School bus accident in Pleasant Hills sends 4 to the hospital
- WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- City Christmas tree lighting kicks off Light-Up Night festivities
- Penn State defense proves among best in school history
- New AP courses considered at Hampton
- Philadelphia hospital evaluating patient for Ebola