MLB notebook: Orioles Machado disappointed with contract
• Manny Machado's contract has been renewed by the Orioles at a slight raise, a deal that disappointed the All-Star third baseman. The 21-year-old will receive $519,000 — $19,000 above the major league minimum — and would earn an additional $100,000 for winning the 2013 Platinum Glove Award as the AL's best defensive player. Machado had a $495,000 base salary last season and earned $25,000 for making the AL All-Star team. Teams had until Tuesday to reach agreements with unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, and players not eligible for arbitration were subject to unilateral renewal by their clubs. Machado has yet to play this spring training after offseason knee surgery.
• Braves pitcher Kris Medlen has injured a ligament in his right elbow for the second time in less than four years, and the team said it is too early to determine the extent of the damage. Medlen had an MRI on Monday that revealed the injury, according to general manager Frank Wren. Wren said Tuesday the 28-year-old right-hander and the team will seek a second medical opinion.
• Justin Masterson was named the Indians' Opening Day starter after throwing four no-hit innings against the Diamondbacks.
• MLB.com reports that it's “almost a certainty” Rockies pitcher Jhoulys Chacin will begin the season on the disabled list because of a shoulder injury.
• Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Tuesday that Josh Hamilton (calf) won't make his Cactus League debut until Sunday, at the earliest, the Orange County Register reported.
• Free-agent pitcher Ervin Santana likely will decide within the next day or two where he will sign, the Baltimore Sun reported. The Orioles and Blue Jays are among the front-runners.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Brewers acquire reliever Broxton from Reds
- MLB notebook: Yankees’ Tanaka to throw simulated game Thursday
- MLB notebook: La Russa defends D-backs for plunking McCutchen
- MLB notebook: Dodgers acquire reliever Hernandez from Phillies
- MLB notebook: Marlins reliever Jennings has concussion; CT scans negative
- MLB notebook: Rays owner fine with Price trade
- MLB notebook: Athletics place closer Doolittle on 15-day DL