MLB notebook: Orioles Machado disappointed with contract
• Manny Machado's contract has been renewed by the Orioles at a slight raise, a deal that disappointed the All-Star third baseman. The 21-year-old will receive $519,000 — $19,000 above the major league minimum — and would earn an additional $100,000 for winning the 2013 Platinum Glove Award as the AL's best defensive player. Machado had a $495,000 base salary last season and earned $25,000 for making the AL All-Star team. Teams had until Tuesday to reach agreements with unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, and players not eligible for arbitration were subject to unilateral renewal by their clubs. Machado has yet to play this spring training after offseason knee surgery.
• Braves pitcher Kris Medlen has injured a ligament in his right elbow for the second time in less than four years, and the team said it is too early to determine the extent of the damage. Medlen had an MRI on Monday that revealed the injury, according to general manager Frank Wren. Wren said Tuesday the 28-year-old right-hander and the team will seek a second medical opinion.
• Justin Masterson was named the Indians' Opening Day starter after throwing four no-hit innings against the Diamondbacks.
• MLB.com reports that it's “almost a certainty” Rockies pitcher Jhoulys Chacin will begin the season on the disabled list because of a shoulder injury.
• Angels manager Mike Scioscia said Tuesday that Josh Hamilton (calf) won't make his Cactus League debut until Sunday, at the earliest, the Orange County Register reported.
• Free-agent pitcher Ervin Santana likely will decide within the next day or two where he will sign, the Baltimore Sun reported. The Orioles and Blue Jays are among the front-runners.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins slip past Sharks, 3-2, in shootout
- Sex-soaked culture faulted for fraternity house parties
- Hempfield infant fights rare disease
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- McKeesport Area teacher among winners at group’s inaugural Champions of Learning awards dinner
- Researchers uncover details to help get GOP candidates elected
- McKeesport Area student’s prize-winning song about brother helps heal family tragedy’s wounds
- Penguins’ Letang leaves hospital, ‘day-to-day’ with concussion
- Penguins notebook: Five defensemen dress against San Jose
- New Castle-area racino remains in limbo
- Program details women’s work in Mon-Yough area mills during World War II