MLB notebook: Mets manager defends Murphy's paternity leave
• Daniel Murphy is proud he put fatherhood ahead of baseball, and Mets manager Terry Collins thinks criticism his second baseman received for taking paternity leave this week was unfair. Murphy made his season debut Thursday, three days after the birth of son Noah. He calls staying in Florida an extra day “the right decision to make” following wifeVictoria 's cesarean section and says “we felt the best thing for our family was for me to stay for an extra day.” He learned Sunday that his wife's water broke, then traveled to Florida and missed Monday's 9-7 opening loss to Washington and Wednesday night's 5-1 defeat. He says his son was born at 12:02 p.m. Monday. Major league rules allow up to three days of paternity leave, and WFAN broadcaster Mike Francesa said on the air Wednesday that Murphy should not have skipped the second game.
• A swarm of bees briefly halted Thursday's game between the Diamondbacks and Giants in the first inning at Chase Field, MLB.com reported. Giants leadoff hitter Angel Pagan hit a fly ball toward a swarm of bees on the warning track that the Diamondbacks' A.J. Pollock caught. The center fielder raced back to the middle of the outfield after making the catch, swatting away the bees. Plate umpire Pat Hoberg stopped the game and spoke with Diamondback manager Kirk Gibson and crew chief Tom Hallion. During the delay, the Diamondbacks played the songs “Let It Be,” and “Don't Worry, Be Happy” over the public-address system.
• David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia keep winning. The two Red Sox stars have had the best-selling jerseys in Major League Baseball since Boston won the World Series in October. No. 3 on the list was Yankees captain Derek Jeter. His jersey has been the top seller since he announced Feb. 12 this would be his final season. Yadier Molina, Clayton Kershaw, Andrew McCutchen, Buster Posey, David Wright, Robinson Cano and Manny Machado round out the top 10. Cano's sales are combined for his Yankees and Mariners jerseys after he signed with Seattle in December. The rankings are based on sales of Majestic jerseys from MLB.com.
• Rays right fielder Wil Myers was scratched from the starting lineup against Toronto because of flu-like symptoms.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- One person dead in fire in Pleasant Hills
- Steelers to retire Joe Greene’s jersey number
- After years of lobbying, Roethlisberger has Steelers regularly running no-huddle
- Pirates stumble in bid for sweep, lose to Giants, 7-5
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Shady Side Academy junior shines during summer seasons
- Personality Test: Art DeConciliis
- Brentwood officials try new way to get code violation message across
- 30 cited for blocking street at union rally