TribLIVE

| Sports


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

MLB notebook: Padres' Gyorko gets 6-year deal

Pirates/MLB Videos

By The Associated Press
Monday, April 14, 2014, 8:03 p.m.
 

The Padres and second baseman Jedd Gyorko agreed to a six-year contract that adds $35 million over five seasons through 2019.

Gyorko's agreement, which replaces a one-year deal agreed to last month, includes a team option for 2020. San Diego essentially buys out one year of free agency and possibly two.

Gyorko hit .249 with 23 home runs and 63 RBIs as a rookie last season.

Rangers' Beltre hoped to avoid DL

Adrian Beltre was hoping to get back in the lineup for the Rangers this week before being told he was going on the disabled list instead because of a strained left quadriceps muscle. “I did not agree with the decision. It was out of my hands,” Beltre said Monday, a day after the DL move was made. The Rangers are being cautious, and the 35-year-old third baseman acknowledged the move was “probably smart.”

No break, damage in Pedroia's wrist

MLB.com reported that Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia has no structural damage or break in his ailing left wrist. Pedroia likely has inflammation from an injury he suffered on a takeout slide at second base against the Brewers earlier this month. Pedroia has just six hits in his past 40 at-bats.

X-rays on McCann's hand negative

The Yankees said X-rays on the right hand of catcher Brian McCann were negative. David Phelps hit A.J. Pierzynski with a pitch in the eighth inning of New York's 3-2 win over Boston on Sunday night, and the ball deflected off McCann's right index finger.

Reds' Chapman throws off mound

Reds closer Aroldis Chapman threw off a mound Monday for the first time since he was hit in the forehead by a line drive during spring training. The left-hander threw 25 pitches in the bullpen before Cincinnati opened a series against the Pirates. The Reds will gradually increase his activities and hope to have him back in May.

Brooks Robinson sues for $9.9 million

Baseball Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson is seeking a settlement of $9.9 million from the Seminole Indian tribe over injuries he suffered in a 2012 fall from a stage at the tribe's South Florida casino. Attorney Jack Hickey said Robinson will sue unless a settlement is reached. Robinson, 76, was attending a charity event at the casino when he fell about 12 feet off a stage that had no back railing.

Extra bases

Blue Jays second baseman Maicer Izturis needs surgery for a tear in his left knee and could be out for the rest of the season. ... The Rangers designated former Pirates right-hander Daniel McCutchen for assignment to make room on their roster for right-hander Colby Lewis. ... Hal Smith, a two-time NL All-Star who had three at-bats with the 1965 Pirates, died Saturday at age 82.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read MLB

  1. MLB notebook: Twins catcher Suzuki signs $12M extension
  2. MLB notebook: Tigers manager Ausmus says Home Run Derby isn’t detrimental
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.