Upper St. Clair's Slowey joins Marlins' rotation
• Right-hander Kevin Slowey will move into the Marlins' rotation to replace struggling left-hander Brad Hand and start Sunday against Seattle. The start will be first for Slowey since July 8. The Upper St. Clair product started 14 games for Miami last year and went 3-6 overall with a 4.11 ERA. Hand fell to 1-11 as a starter when he lost Monday to Washington. He'll return to a long-relief role, manager Mike Redmond said Wednesday. Hand made two starts filling in for right-hander Jacob Turner, who is on the disabled list with a shoulder injury. Turner is scheduled to throw a bullpen session Friday.
• Prized prospect George Springer joined the Astros from Triple-A Oklahoma City. The 24-year-old outfielder had 37 homers and 108 RBIs with 45 stolen bases combined in Double-A and Triple-A last year. He was off to a strong start in Triple-A this season, too, hitting .353 with three homers and nine RBIs. Springer, selected 11th overall by the Astros out of UConn in the 2011 amateur draft, said he received the news after Oklahoma City's win over Colorado Springs on Tuesday night, when he hit a grand slam. “It's just an indescribable feeling,” Springer said. “I'm speechless right now.” The Astros sent outfielder Robbie Grossman to Oklahoma City to make room for Springer on the roster. Grossman, a former Pirates prospect, was hitting just .125 in 14 games this season. The team also reinstated starter Scott Feldman, who will start Thursday, from the bereavement list and designated right-handed pitcher Lucas Harrell for assignment.
• Mets outfielder Curtis Granderson is expected to return to the lineup for Friday's game against the visiting Braves. Granderson left Monday's game at Arizona with multiple bruises after crashing into the outfield wall.
• The Mariners placed outfielder Logan Morrison and right-handed starter Blake Beavan on the 15-day disabled list.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Morales headed back to Mariners
- Pirates’ McCutchen starts All-Star Game in style; AL tops NL
- MLB notebook: Braves part ways with struggling Uggla
- MLB notebook: Yankees acquire Headley from Padres
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Maybin suspended 25 games