MLB notebook: Harvey photo flap causes him to shut down Twitter account
The picture Matt Harvey tweeted of himself making an obscene gesture on his way into surgery caused such a stir that the injured New York Mets ace has shut down his Twitter account.
Harvey confirms he posted a photo Tuesday morning that showed him raising the middle finger on his left hand as he was about to undergo Tommy John surgery exactly six months ago. Harvey said his mother took the photo, and he posted it because he was excited about the milestone and wanted to have a little fun.
The picture generated plenty of attention online, and the Mets said they asked Harvey to take it down because they deemed it inappropriate.
Harvey decided to delete his Twitter account entirely.
Rays' Moore has surgery
Rays left-hander Matt Moore has undergone elbow ligament replacement surgery and could be sidelined 12 to 15 months.
The surgery was performed by Dr. James Andrews on the 24-year-old Moore, who made the AL All-Star team last year.
Minor debut pushed back
Braves left-hander Mike Minor's season debut has been pushed back so he can make one more minor league start in his recovery from tendinitis in his left shoulder.
Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Minor will start for Double-A Mississippi in Pensacola, Fla., on Friday.
Around the majors
The Orioles recalled left-hander T.J. MacFarland from Triple-A Norfolk and designated former Pirates player Steve Pearce for assignment. ... The Giants placed left-hander David Huff on the 15-day disabled list and recalled outfielder Juan Perez from Triple-A Fresno.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Truck accident closes all eastbound lanes of Parkway West
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Jobs on state website include ‘private party dancing,’ ‘car dates’