MLB notebook: Orioles' Machado ready to come off disabled list
• Orioles third baseman Manny Machado was poised to be activated from the 15-day disabled list before rain postponed Tuesday night's game against the Pirates. Machado hasn't played for Baltimore since undergoing left knee surgery in October.
• Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper had surgery Tuesday on his injured left thumb. Manager Matt Williams said “that time frame is out there” after reports Monday that Harper would be out until at least July.
• Reds closer Aroldis Chapman threw 25 pitches during batting practice Tuesday, passing the final test before he can begin a rehabilitation stint in the minors. The left-hander was hit on the forehead by a line drive during a spring training game March 19.
• Center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was out of the Yankees' lineup Tuesday because of a sore left hand, and suspended pitcher Michael Pineda pulled himself from a simulated game with tightness in an upper back muscle.
• Athletics right-hander A.J. Griffin will have elbow surgery Wednesday and will be out for the season. Griffin was 14-10 with a 3.83 ERA in 2013.
• Braves left-hander Mike Minor (shoulder) is set to pitch in the majors for the first time this season. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said Minor will start Friday night at home against San Francisco.
• The Marlins said right-hander Jacob Turner would come off the DL to start Saturday against the Dodgers. Turner was out because of a strained shoulder. Kevin Slowey (Upper St. Clair) will go to the bullpen.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Phillies closer Papelbon suspended 7 games for lewd gesture
- MLB notebook: Dodgers’ rookie in line to start for Ryu