MLB notebook: Reds right fielder Bruce has knee surgery
• Reds right fielder Jay Bruce had surgery Monday to repair torn cartilage in his left knee and will be sidelined for about a month. Bruce was scratched from the starting lineup Sunday because of a sore knee but pinch hit and struck out during a 4-3, 10-inning win over Milwaukee. He had tests Sunday night that detected the tear.
• The Indians placed designated hitter Jason Giambi on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right calf muscle. Giambi was removed from Saturday night's game against the White Sox after grounding into a double play in the fourth inning. Giambi began the season on the disabled list after breaking a rib during training camp.
• Outfielder Yasiel Puig wasn't listed in the starting lineup for the Dodgers' series opener against the Nationals a day after he slammed into a wall trying to make a game-saving catch. The Dodgers said Puig passed a concussion test after the game and that he would be day-to-day.
• The Nationals reinstated outfielder Scott Hairston from the 15-day disabled list and optioned outfielder Steven Souza Jr. to Triple-A Syracuse. Hairston had been sidelined since April 6 with a strained side muscle.
• Rays minor league pitcher Steve Geltz was suspended 50 games by the commissioner's office after a second positive drug test. Geltz was pitching for Triple-A Durham. The 26-year-old right-hander made two relief appearances for the Angels in 2012. Geltz was penalized after testing positive for a drug of abuse.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf to sign order barring drilling of new oil, gas wells in state forests, parks
- Pa. police departments worry order on criminal seizures hurts bottom line
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- UPMC, Highmark disagree over payment of medical claims for children
- Donora man apprehended after North Belle Vernon pharmacy robbery
- Beauty Bash will help send cancer patient, family to Florida
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- Woman charged in Jan. 4 homicide outside Brighton Heights tavern
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma