MLB notebook: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez facing season-ending surgery, according to reports
According to multiple reports, Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow and will need season-ending surgery.
The 21-year-old right-hander leads the major leagues with 70 strikeouts. He is 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA.
Last season, Fernandez was named the NL Rookie of the Year after going 12-6 with a 2.19 ERA.
CBSSports.com reported that Fernandez would seek a second opinion from the Marlins' team physician.
• Yankees right fielder Carlos Beltran has a bone spur in his right elbow that could require surgery if a pain-relief shot does not ease the symptoms. It should take two or three days before knowing if the shot has helped, and the Yankees will not make any decision about placing Beltran on the disabled list until then.
• The Brewers activated outfielder Ryan Braun from the 15-day disabled list after he was sidelined with a right oblique strain. Third baseman Aramis Ramirez was placed on the disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
• Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg said a Shake Shack hamburger at Citi Field gave him food poisoning during Philadelphia's weekend series against the Mets. Sandberg said he lost 6 pounds in two days because he became sick after eating the burger. Mets first baseman Lucas Duda also said a burger from the same place made him ill.
• The Cardinals attempted to bolster their pitching staff by recalling left-hander Sam Freeman and right-hander Jorge Rondon from Triple-A Memphis. The Cardinals optioned reliever Eric Fornataro to Memphis and placed Tyler Lyons on the 15-day disabled list with a left shoulder strain. Lyons allowed seven runs in two innings Monday against the Cubs and.
• The Padres activated outfielder Carlos Quentin from the disabled list. Quentin missed the first 39 games with a bruised left knee.
• The Royals placed second baseman Omar Infante on the disabled list with a lower back injury and selected the contract of infielder Pedro Ciriaco from Triple-A Omaha.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Toll road system traces roots to Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Turnpike
- On border of Westmoreland, Fayette, Jacobs Creek section is sacred spot
- Connellsville Mum Festival to be held Saturday
- Connellsville’s St. Rita Christian Mothers to hold Nationality Day