MLB notebook: League changes error to hit in Darvish's near-miss
• Yu Darvish's recent no-hit bid now officially ended in the seventh inning, not the ninth. Major League Baseball has overturned a controversial scoring decision from Friday's game between the Rangers and Red Sox. Acting on an appeal by Boston slugger David Ortiz, MLB on Wednesday changed an error in the seventh to a single. Darvish retired the first 20 batters before Ortiz hit a popup that was ruled an error even though it wasn't touched. Ortiz added a clean single with two outs in the ninth, the only other hit. The popup dropped between Texas rookie second baseman Rougned Odor and right fielder Alex Rios. The official scorer charged Rios with an error, citing MLB rules that a ball doesn't have to be touched to be an error if a routine catch was possible.
• Mets pitcher Dillon Gee was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained back muscle. Jacob deGrom will take Gee's spot in the rotation Thursday night, meaning two straight Mets starters were scheduled to make their major league debuts in the Subway Series against the Yankees. Gee has been the Mets' most consistent and durable starter for about a calendar year. The right-hander is 3-1 with a 2.73 ERA in eight starts this season. He went on the DL retroactive to May 11 and hopes to miss only two turns in the rotation with his strained right lat.
• Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez will undergo Tommy John surgery this week to fix a torn UCL in his throwing elbow and will miss the rest of the season, according to multiple reports.
• The Cardinals recalled second baseman Kolten Wong from Triple-A Memphis after a four-hit, four-RBI game in the minors.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Pelican Dreams’ strikes gold with big birds
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- Heart stent implanted, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg goes home
- McCarthy-era felon: Lies doomed me
- Firefighters extinguish fire that damages 6 cabs at Yellow Cab Co.
- Justices consider social media, free speech
- Cathedral may host slave trade museum
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Remember our troops
- Starkey: Rutherford will add when timing’s right