MLB notebook: Votto out with quad strain
• Reds slugger Joey Votto had an MRI on his left knee Friday that revealed no structural damage to the knee but showed a distal quadriceps strain. Votto missed Friday night's game in Philadelphia. The 2010 NL MVP is hitting .257 with six homers and 12 RBIs.
• The Indians optioned Danny Salazar to Triple-A Columbus after he struggled in eight starts. Salazar was 1-4 with a 5.53 ERA, striking out 47 in 40 2⁄3 innings, but allowed 49 hits, including eight home runs. Left-hander Kyle Crockett was called up from Double-A Akron.
• Marlins ace Jose Fernandez had Tommy John surgery as planned, ending the reigning NL Rookie of the Year's season.The 21-year-old Fernandez was put on the disabled list earlier this week. Fernandez finished 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA.
• Diamondbacks minor league pitcher Argeny Hiciano tested positive for metavolites of Boledone and was suspended 50 games. The 17-year-old right-hander's ban will start when the Dominican Summer League team's season begins.
• Rangers pitcher Martin Perez is leaning toward having Tommy John surgery and will meet with the team to determine whether he will have the procedure Saturday. The left-hander
felt discomfort in his elbow in his last start. He is 0-3 with a 13.15 ERA following consecutive shutouts. Meanwhile, Rangers starter Matt Harrison is out again and is undecided on whether to undergo another back operation.
• The Orioles designated former Pirates pitcher Evan Meek for assignment and recalled right-hander Brad Brach from Triple-A Norfolk.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak
- Large pipelines proposed to carry gas from shale formations
- Washington Road accident in Mt. Lebanon injures five people
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- No. 17 WVU rolls past Texas Tech, 77-58
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- Dungy, Greene represent more Steelers ties in hall of fame voting
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- $800K spent to revamp California University of Pa. president’s home
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- Police: Woman thwarted abduction at Jefferson Township convenience store