MLB notebook: Phillies' Lee will have MRI on left elbow
• Phillies ace Cliff Lee had an MRI exam on his sore throwing elbow. Lee remained in Philadelphia to undergo the test after pitching 62⁄3 innings Sunday to beat Cincinnati. Lee, 35, is 4-4 this season with a 3.18 ERA in 68 innings.
• MLB.com reported the Red Sox signed free-agent shortstop Stephen Drew to a one-year, $10 million deal. Drew, who batted .253 with 13 homers and 67 RBIs for Boston last season, rejected the team's one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer in November.
• Manager Joe Girardi said Carlos Beltran will take swings next week before the Yankees decide if the right fielder needs surgery on his right elbow.
• Prince Fielder still is out of the Rangers lineup. The slugger was on the original lineup posted for Tuesday's game versus Seattle. But Fielder, who was given an injection Saturday for a stiff neck, was scratched before the game after taking some swings.
• The Indians activated Jason Giambi from the disabled list. Giambi, 43, has been on the disabled list since May 5 with a strained calf. Before he was placed on the DL, Giambi was hitless in 10 at-bats.
• Dodgers prospect Alex Guerrero will need surgery after his teammate, catcher Miguel Olivo, bit off part of his ear during a dugout scuffle during a game between Triple-A Albuquerque and Salt Lake. The incident appeared to stem from an on-field argument between the pair during an earlier pitching change.
• MLB.com reported Giants catcher Buster Posey is day-to-day with nerve irritation in his lower back.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Astros fire manager amid dismal season
- MLB notebook: Brewers acquire reliever Broxton from Reds