• A day after the Rangers said Prince Fielder would have season-ending surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck, the team placed Fielder on the disabled list. It is the first time the 30-year-old first baseman has been on the DL in his career. Infielder Donnie Murphy was recalled from an injury rehab assignment and activated for Friday's game against the Tigers.
• The Red Sox optioned Stephen Drew to Single-A Greenville to begin a stretch of 10 games at the lower level. The shortstop re-signed with the Red Sox on Tuesday, six months after he rejected a qualifying offer from the team to become a free agent. Also, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Alex Wilson from Triple-A Pawtucket.
• The commissioner's office suspended Braves minor leaguer Mikey Reynolds for 50 games after the second baseman tested positive for methylphenidate, a performance enhancing substance. There have been 30 players suspended this year under the minor league drug program.
• Brewers slugger Ryan Braun's oblique is bothering him again. The outfielder was held from the starting lineup Friday, a day after leaving a game against Atlanta because of tightness in his right side, but could be back in the lineup by Sunday, according to manager Ron Roenicke.
• To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the movie “Major League,” the Lake County Captains — Class A affiliates of the Indians — are giving away 1,500 Jobu bobblehead dolls at their Aug. 1 game, ESPN reports. The famous voodoo doll was used by fictional Indians outfielder Pedro Cerrano to help him finally hit a curveball.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.