Rangers' Fielder on DL for first time
• A day after the Rangers said Prince Fielder would have season-ending surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck, the team placed Fielder on the disabled list. It is the first time the 30-year-old first baseman has been on the DL in his career. Infielder Donnie Murphy was recalled from an injury rehab assignment and activated for Friday's game against the Tigers.
• The Red Sox optioned Stephen Drew to Single-A Greenville to begin a stretch of 10 games at the lower level. The shortstop re-signed with the Red Sox on Tuesday, six months after he rejected a qualifying offer from the team to become a free agent. Also, the Red Sox recalled right-hander Alex Wilson from Triple-A Pawtucket.
• The commissioner's office suspended Braves minor leaguer Mikey Reynolds for 50 games after the second baseman tested positive for methylphenidate, a performance enhancing substance. There have been 30 players suspended this year under the minor league drug program.
• Brewers slugger Ryan Braun's oblique is bothering him again. The outfielder was held from the starting lineup Friday, a day after leaving a game against Atlanta because of tightness in his right side, but could be back in the lineup by Sunday, according to manager Ron Roenicke.
• To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the movie “Major League,” the Lake County Captains — Class A affiliates of the Indians — are giving away 1,500 Jobu bobblehead dolls at their Aug. 1 game, ESPN reports. The famous voodoo doll was used by fictional Indians outfielder Pedro Cerrano to help him finally hit a curveball.
— Wire reports