MLB notebook: Cubs sign Ramirez to be Triple-A player-coach
• The Cubs want Manny Ramirez to mentor their minor leaguers at the very end of a colorful career that includes two World Series titles and a pair of suspensions for positive drug tests. Ramirez signed a minor league deal with the Cubs on Sunday and will be a player-coach at Triple-A Iowa after he gets some at-bats in extended spring training at the team's facility in Mesa, Ariz. The 41-year-old Ramirez is a .312 hitter with 555 home runs in 2,302 games covering 19 major league seasons.
• Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera left Sunday's game against Texas in the seventh inning with a right hamstring cramp. Cabrera was bothered last year by shin and groin injuries, and he had surgery in the offseason. The two-time AL MVP is hitting .322 with seven home runs and 42 RBIs.
• The Red Sox put first baseman Mike Napoli on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained finger and recalled right-hander Brandon Workman from Triple-A Pawtucket. Napoli is hitting .260 with five homers and 22 RBIs.
• The Orioles placed first baseman Chris Davis on paternity leave and added catcher Nick Hundley, who was obtained in a trade with San Diego on Saturday.
• Yankees manager Joe Girardi said injured right-hander Michael Pineda (right shoulder) is scheduled to pitch two innings in an extended spring training game Tuesday.
• The Phillies placed third baseman Cody Asche on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring. Asche is hitting .258 with eight doubles, four home runs and 18 RBIs in 40 games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Arnold man charged after 20-mile chase
- McKeesport park to get more regional asset funds
- Gunfire plagues New Kensington
- Monessen woman honored for service as church volunteer
- Falcons to host ‘Kitty Cat Game’
- Home brew returns
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Car, bike show to outfit police
- Mental health facility won’t take Franklin Regional stabbing suspect as patient
- Business roundup: SEC fines Bank of America $7.65M for miscalculation; court-ordered anti-smoking ads challenged; more
- Penguins notebook: Wild beat Pens behind Pominville’s hat trick