MLB notebook: Red Sox broadcaster's son pleads guilty to 1st-degree murder
WOBURN, Mass. — The son of longtime Red Sox broadcaster Jerry Remy pleaded guilty Tuesday to first-degree murder for fatally stabbing his girlfriend last year while the couple's 4-year-old daughter screamed and three neighbors tried to stop him.
Jared Remy, 35, was sentenced to a mandatory life without parole for killing Jennifer Martel, 27.
Remy admitted he killed Martel on Aug. 15 at their Waltham apartment and said he wanted to take responsibility for what he had done.
He described himself as “the bad apple” and called Martel “an angel,” but he also appeared to blame Martel.
“I would like you to know that I always told Jen she could leave, but don't threaten me with my daughter,” he read from a hand-written statement. “That night, Jen had a knife in her hand and threatened me with my daughter, so I killed her.”
His father, a former Red Sox second baseman who has been a color analyst for New England Sports Network since 1988, was not in court.
Remy's lawyer, Edward Ryan Jr., said Remy had asked his parents not to attend the hearing.
• Rangers ace Yu Darvish was scratched from his scheduled start Tuesday night at Minnesota because of neck stiffness. A precautionary MRI was “unremarkable,” the team said.
• Mark Teixeira was out of the Yankees' lineup for a second straight day because of soreness in his surgically repaired right wrist.
• The Indians' Nick Swisher (left knee) and Carlos Santana (concussion) were placed on the 15-day and seven-day disabled list, respectively.
• Red Sox manager John Farrell said he'll decide on Clay Buchholz's next start after the his bullpen session Wednesday. Buchholz walked eight and allowed six runs Monday.
• An MRI on the Royals' Yordano Ventura 's pitching elbow was clean Tuesday after the right-hander reported a “bang” in the elbow during Monday's outing.
• Mets top pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard's MRI on Tuesday revealed no structural damage in his right arm.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- MLB notebook: Braves trade OF Justin Upton to Padres
- MLB notebook: Yankees GM Cashman: A-Rod will be DH