• Major League Baseball executive Joe Torre doesn't agree with Red Sox slugger David Ortiz about official scorers. Ortiz was upset Wednesday when his ball was ruled an error on Twins first baseman Joe Mauer instead of a hit. When the inning ended at Fenway Park, Ortiz glared and waved his arms toward official scorer Bob Ellis. After Boston won, Ortiz suggested that scoring decisions should tilt toward the home team. Torre, the MLB executive vice president for baseball operations, concedes not everyone will agree with official scorers. “But everyone in our game deserves respect,” he said.
• Reds reliever Sean Marshall will have surgery on his left shoulder, which has bothered him for the two seasons and repeatedly landed him on the disabled list. The Reds won't know how long he'll be sidelined until doctors operate on the shoulder next Tuesday, manager Bryan Price said. The Reds also optioned left-hander Tony Cingrani to Triple-A Louisville and called up right-hander Jumbo Diaz. Cingrani is 2-8 with a 4.55 ERA.
• The Diamondbacks designated former closer J.J. Putz for assignment. Putz had a career-high 45 saves while helping Arizona win the NL West title his first season in 2011 but has battled injuries the past two seasons. The Diamondbacks signed Addison Reed during the offseason and moved Putz into a setup role.
• The Blue Jays called up right-hander Liam Hendriks to start their series opener Friday against the Reds as part of a rotation rearrangement. R.A. Dickey was scheduled to start but was pushed back until Sunday, giving him a couple of extra days to let a sore groin heal.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.