MLB notebook: Struggling Padres fire GM Byrnes
• The struggling Padres fired general manager Josh Byrnes. The team announced the dismissal in a release Sunday, just minutes before the Padres faced the Dodgers. The Padres are 32-43 and 121⁄2 games out of first in the NL West. They finished 76-86 in each of Byrnes' first two seasons in the position.
• The Cardinals put starting pitchers Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia on the 15-day disabled list. The right-handed Wacha has a stress fracture in his pitching shoulder. He is 5-5 with a 2.79 ERA. Garcia re-aggravated his surgically repaired left shoulder. He is 3-1 with a 4.12 ERA.
• Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips left Sunday's game against Toronto in the middle of the fifth inning with a bruised right heel.
• Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista and infielder Brett Lawrie left Sunday's game against the Reds with injuries. Lawrie exited in the middle of the second inning with a broken right index finger after being hit by a pitch. Bautista left the game with tightness in his left leg in the top of the third.
• Marlins infielder Rafael Furcal is back on the disabled list after reinjuring his left hamstring and may be out for an extended period. Furcal, a three-time All-Star, was batting .171.
• Rich “Goose” Gossage was honored by the Yankees on Old Timers' Day with a plaque to be placed in Monument Park. The Hall of Fame reliever with the bushy mustache and blazing fastball pitched for the Yankees from 1978-83, helping them to a World Series title during his first season in pinstripes. He returned for 11 games in 1989.
— Wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Disney TV Animation going strong after 30 years
- Penn State mens basketball wins fourth in a row, improves to 6-1
- Homes for the holiday: Christmas house tours abound
- Gazing at the grass in winter is a vision in grace
- Homework: Gifts and Greens Market is Dec. 4-6
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- National Portrait Gallery asks public to vote for art
- Photo of suspect in Greendale Tavern burglary/fire released
- Book details Steelers’ history in black and white
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.
- Fayette County history could fetch big bucks at Ohio auction