• The struggling Padres fired general manager Josh Byrnes. The team announced the dismissal in a release Sunday, just minutes before the Padres faced the Dodgers. The Padres are 32-43 and 12 1⁄2 games out of first in the NL West. They finished 76-86 in each of Byrnes' first two seasons in the position.
• The Cardinals put starting pitchers Michael Wacha and Jaime Garcia on the 15-day disabled list. The right-handed Wacha has a stress fracture in his pitching shoulder. He is 5-5 with a 2.79 ERA. Garcia re-aggravated his surgically repaired left shoulder. He is 3-1 with a 4.12 ERA.
• Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips left Sunday's game against Toronto in the middle of the fifth inning with a bruised right heel.
• Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista and infielder Brett Lawrie left Sunday's game against the Reds with injuries. Lawrie exited in the middle of the second inning with a broken right index finger after being hit by a pitch. Bautista left the game with tightness in his left leg in the top of the third.
• Marlins infielder Rafael Furcal is back on the disabled list after reinjuring his left hamstring and may be out for an extended period. Furcal, a three-time All-Star, was batting .171.
• Rich “Goose” Gossage was honored by the Yankees on Old Timers' Day with a plaque to be placed in Monument Park. The Hall of Fame reliever with the bushy mustache and blazing fastball pitched for the Yankees from 1978-83, helping them to a World Series title during his first season in pinstripes. He returned for 11 games in 1989.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.